Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Restrciting Internet Usage

• Please log in to reply

matt.

matt.

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Hello. I am the administrator of my home network, and i need to ask for a bit of help. :whistling:

I have a brother that is extremely cheeky. he will use up our familys downloads within 2 days. 10gig!!
i have permission from my parents to ask for some software that we can use to restrict the amount of download useage on every computer on our network. ?? will this be possilble?

We Run-Windows Xp Professional.

Thnx

Edited by matt., 26 December 2006 - 01:22 AM.

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Put your brother on a limited account (Control Panel> User Accounts) and he will have to ask your folks (or an administrator account) for permissions each time he goes to download or install something. No additional software is needed.
Johanna

matt.

matt.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
oh yeh didnt think of that :whistling: [bleep] im a retard why didnt i think of that lol sorry. i wasted ur time. i just didnt give it too much thought

matt.

matt.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
as i thought. it dose still allow him to download from Ares, Limewire Ect... P2P programs?
what would i do about this?

I was thinking port blocking. just i never port blocked before.

Edited by matt., 03 January 2007 - 03:15 AM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Port Blocking is inefficient these days because the programs usually fall back to Port 80, which is the default port for normal web traffic.

Anyway this is irrelevant, a more effective solution is to get your parents to put their foot down and turf the kid off the computer altogether for being so selfish.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Uninstall those programs? Then if absolutely necessary for you to have them, try to reinstall and see if you have that option to install for Me or Anyone.

matt.

matt.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
yes thats all quite true. BUT i honestly dont wanna put up with the kids nagging... u dont no how bad it gets. i just wanna tell him that hes got a dodge computer not that i unstalled it becz ur a lil [bleep] :whistling: he will just reinstall all of it again and away he goes... :blink:

you abosulutly sure that theres ntuhing els that can provent him from using this port "47473" <-- lOok bit retarded port but yeh.. umm

i try anything
unless theres nuthing els 2 do then ill just uninstall the program which is quite easy :help:

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
If you change his user account to Limited, then he can't reinstall anything. He'll have to go through you or another Administrator.

matt.

matt.

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
yes thats true. hmmm kk il do that but is there any other way to do it b4 i uninstall it?