Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How do upload VIDEO/Audio feeds in my site

• Please log in to reply

ultranet

ultranet

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Dear coders

I just want to ask if anyone to help :what is the best way to add video to a website or music so that viewers can acutally are able to play online or download it..

thanks in advance

cheers

Edited by ultranet, 26 December 2006 - 02:31 AM.

Advertisements

scozzard

scozzard

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
What are you developing the website in?

I've done this many times in ASP.NET 2.0 in C# (for uploading and downloading files).

The best way to do this is to just set up a file-system where you upload files to a "files" folder in your website directory, maybe "files/music/" and "files/video/" in your case.

You can upload the files from an administration section of your website as an administrator, as well as uploading and posting the file to the directory you also insert a row in a database in relation to that file. In adminsitration you could set property fields such as artist, album, year etc for each item.

Then you simply pull this data from the database on the front-end to display the information. The information displayed could be the "song name - artist" in the form of a link. The link would just re-direct to the file location offering the user the ability to download or open the file.

This obviously is just an idea you can use if you want. :whistling:

thenotch

thenotch

• Retired Staff
  • 668 posts
Better make sure the music & video is not copyrighted first.

If this is your own, original content or content with consent then you have a variety of options, but know up front streaming video and audio is a bandwidth hog and some providers will shut you down because you will most likely be exceeding your allotted bandwidth.

All that aside then it's really not hard to do... the embed function is normally used but there are other alternatives.

Again, I would be remiss to give you tons of information and then you turn around and start streaming copyrighted material.