Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Adding a new HDD to old mobo

• Please log in to reply

Dave_bangkok

Dave_bangkok

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi all,

I hope someone can answer my question, I am looking to add an additional HD to an old system that I have, it has a Jetway 663AS mobo (running XP pro), bios dated 12/2001 (this is the latest bios revision), the system has only a 20gb HD in and I need to upgrade, what would the maximum size HD that it would recognise on the IDE port?, my other option is to add a sata pci card and sata drive, would this option allow me to add a bigger HD removing any bios limit to HD size, say 200gb and be recognised by windows as full capacity?

Thank you in advance

Dave

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
The 32GB bios limitation, as a general guideline, doesn't affect relatively recent systems, it kind of started to disappear around the turn of the century.

Your system, according to a post from somebody else using the same board on a different site, will see a 40Gb drive. If it can see a 40Gb drive, it'll see anything up to 137Gb at least.

As to whether it'll accept a SATA drive - it'll fit BUT it depends if the BIOS has any capability to boot off a SATA drive connected to a SATA PCI Card. This was a really fussy grey area at one point because it'll be seen as an external device. A lot of older boards insist on only booting off devices directly plugged into the board as they can't see a way of booting from anything else. Some will do it, but most won't.

Dave_bangkok

Dave_bangkok

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for your reply Neil, thats just about answered what i needed to know, regarding the sata drive, it wouldn't be used to boot from, i would keep the original 20gb one in, and just add a sata card & drive, so there wouldnt be no worries on that score.

Thanks again :whistling:

regards

Dave