Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Explorer 7 will not open

• Please log in to reply

carmabelle

carmabelle

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hello!
I recently had a virus on my computer and could not do windows updates. When we finally got the virus off, windows went about installing all this stuff that it had missed out on. One of those things was the new IE 7. Well now IE won't open at all! I have another browser (Mozilla) but I would really like to get IE back. I have tried reinstalling to no avail. I have also tried going back to IE 6, but microsoft won't let me get to the download page because I don't have IE 5 or higher. ARGH! Can you help?

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
There's no need to go online to get IE6 back. To get back to your previous version of IE (IE6?) you just uninstall IE7 through 'Add/Remove Programs' (you might need to have 'Show Updates' ticked for IE7 to be listed there). That will automatically restore the previous version. After that's done and you're sure IE6 is working, you may wish to try installing IE7 again. In which case, remember you MUST disable any antivirus utility you may have running before starting the install, and I found the install works more smoothly if you choose NOT to 'Download Latest Updates and Run Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool'. That option can cause the installer to hang so uncheck it.

Edited by pip22, 26 December 2006 - 09:54 AM.

carmabelle

carmabelle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks!!
I got the IE 7 figured out somehow. Not sure how...but I did. So thanks for your help!!

Carmen