Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

7 Port Hub...

• Please log in to reply

Jordan_Safc

Jordan_Safc

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi people,
got a little present of on of the family (7 port hub) when it came [New..] but with no instructions and I'm having trouble with it, i only have 2 USB Ports on my laptop and when i put it in a message appears saying power surge ' a pop up balloon ' then when i click on it a box appears.. ( attachment is the print screen x2 )
Was wondering if anyone could help me?

I have a compaq presario V5214ea btw..

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.JPG
  • 2.JPG

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
The message says that the Hub is drawing more power than the USB port can deliver. If the USB Hub has the ability to have an external power supply, you can try that (I have not had much luck with that as it caused my machine to not work, but I could add it after the machine booted).

Many USB devices are powered by the USB port, which presents a problem when you use a Hub since then the power requirements can quickly exceed what the port can deliver. If the devices that you plug into the hub can be externally powered, then that can also help.

Jordan_Safc

Jordan_Safc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
so have you any ideas on me getting it working ?

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
As I said, if the port has the ability to have an external power supply, you can try that since then the hub will not need the power from the port.

You can also limit the use to devices which don't require much power, but that makes it not very useful.

If you use devices which have external power supplies, that will reduce the power requirements and keep you within the limit of the USB port.

Jordan_Safc

Jordan_Safc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Pretty Confused now.. lol

Jordan_Safc

Jordan_Safc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i was just wondering if there is any way possibe of getting this to work on my laptop?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
...jordan...did you read any of what kemesa said? does the 7 port USB hub have a power cord that plugs into the wall or not?

Jordan_Safc

Jordan_Safc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yes it does...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
...have you pllugged that into the wall and THEN tried using the hub?

Jordan_Safc

Jordan_Safc

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yeah thats what im doing and that the message that comes up