Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"No Array is Defined"?

• Please log in to reply

brinas30

brinas30

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
Helpful info:

Fresh install of WINXPSP2, new RAM 512, AMD Duron processor, WDC HDD 120gb, and pc is randomly rebooting approx 1 - 2 times per day.

First question: What does this mean and how do I correct it in BIOS?

Fasttrak 100 ™ "lite" BIOS version 1.31.1 (build 30)
© 1995-2000 promise technology, Inc All rights reserved

scanning IDE drives...........

NO ARRAY IS DEFINED
press <ctrl-F> to enter fastbuild ™ utility or
Press <Esc> to continue booting

When I attempt to enter the Fastbuild Utility, it doesn't let me select anything.

Second question: I receive the following BSOD when it does NOT reboot on it's own:

"PFN_LIST_CORRUPT" with stop error code of "0x0000004E"

Finally, I see the following issue in my device manager:

Other Devices: RAID controller "No drivers installed"

Aside from these issues/questions, there does not seem to be anything else going on. There isn't anything installed on this pc yet, and I am ruling out the RAM due to the same issue as BEFORE I installed the new stick. (Unless the Geek Squad sold me a junk stick)
Thank you for your help!! :whistling:

Sabrina

Advertisements

slurpy

slurpy

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Do you have your Hard drives In A RAID array? And what type of Hard drive is it , SATA 150 or SATA2?

And youe PFN Error is a Ram error if you can run memtest here it is

http://www.memtest86.com/

Looks like Geeksqaud sold you a bad stick o ram..

Also may want to read below

http://www.osronline...cfm?article=334

Edited by slurpy, 26 December 2006 - 06:54 PM.

brinas30

brinas30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
HDD's are both IDE, first is 120gb and the slave is 40gb. The problem is that I'm still learning all of this, and today spent a lot of time understanding what the RAID controller was lol....would appreciate any laymans terms :whistling:
Getting a test stick of RAM tomorrow to test before I take back the possible bad stick. Geek Squad tested the memory, and it passed on the new stick, but I'm leery now.
I am going to read that article again and see if I can correct that PFN error.
Anything else you can offer?

slurpy

slurpy

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I can tell you that you do not have a raid array!
For Raid to work you need 2 hard drives that are the same size..
Can you get into your BIOS and select BIOS defualts.
When it runs and says no array is defined it is just doing a post self test. That is normal.
While in your BIOS (Basic Input Output system)
See if you can find a boot order..Once you find that tab make sure your Hard drive is listed first. And you can turn off the self post test i there as ell. It should be under advanced options.

To get into your BIOS it is usually esc or DEL or F10 to get to a boot order. What type of pc is it/ Dell, HP etc..

When I attempt to enter the Fastbuild Utility, it doesn't let me select anything

This is because you dont have the hard drives to build a Raid array, more on Raid below

http://searchstorage...i214332,00.html

Edited by slurpy, 26 December 2006 - 08:02 PM.

brinas30

brinas30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
I entered my Advanced BIOS menu, reset the boot sequence to C, CDROM, Zip, and disabled the Self Test. Afterwards it ran a memtest, then gave me the No Array Defined again, and continues to do so. No biggie, as long as it doesn't interfere with any processes, I'm not going to worry.
The RAID controller issue in my DM states it's located in PCI slot 6, what does that mean?

My processor is an AMD Athlon XP 1800+, 1.53 GHz/ 512 RAM (1 stick), AOpen AK77plus R1.16 motherboard. Now that I think about it, I replaced the graphics card and inserted a NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64 Graphics card. Any issues with compatibility there?

Memory test = good. hmmm

Any help appreciated.

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
You should be able to disable the RAID in the bios.

On ASUS motherboards, under the Advanced tab, Onboard RAID, Disable.

:whistling:

brinas30

brinas30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
REWIND: I removed the graphics card months ago when discovering that it was not one of the issues. The specs given above are for the existing Display Adapter installed.
Sorry for the misinformation, late night :whistling:

brinas30

brinas30

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
RAID disabled, issue resolved.

Will wait until I get the test RAM tomorrow before posting anything further, thank you for all of your assistance!! :whistling:

Sabrina