Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video files wont work after changing screen resolution

• Please log in to reply

Smiddy

Smiddy

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
After changing my screen resolution my computer will no longer play video files correctly. This means that if i run a game that changes the screen resolution or if i wish to change my desktop res i have to restart my computer before i can watch a video file.

This applies to all video files and is not specific to one video player either (none work).

After changing screen resolution the videos will start playing but the picture will be black with the occational red green or blue colour appearing. Sound playback is not affected.

I have the most recent video drivers installed and all the videos work normally before a resolution change.

This never used to happen and i cannot seem to pinpoint what casued the change and how i can fix it, i would be very grateful for any help.

Cheers

Smiddy

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
So sorry for the delayed response.

Here are a couple of things to try:

1. Go to Display Properties, Settings, Advanced, Troubleshoot. Lower hardware acceleration (move slider to left). Change your screen resolution and try to play the video again. Did this help?

2. Do you have another Windows User Account that you can log in with, to confirm/deny the problem exists outside your User Account? If not, please add a new account (Control Panel, User Accounts - be sure to add it to the Administrator security group), log in with that new account, change the screen resolution and view a video file. Did this help?

If neither of these helped, please answer the following:

What make/model is your graphics card?

Is your monitor a flat-panel or standard?

What software are you using to view the video files?

What format are the video files?

What screen resolution works and which resolution(s) don't?

Is there anything you've installed, either software, hardware, or updates for anything?