Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Scheduling XP to shutdown

• Please log in to reply

vise

vise

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hey all,

I am interested in knowing if there is a way to schedule a shutdown of the computer. Not remotely
or anything though. I need to schedule my dad's and sister's computers to shut off at like 12am because
they leave them on all night and it uses up valuable electricity for other purposes, plus it's just a pain.

Thanks,

vise

Advertisements

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
This should be quite easy. First you need to create a file that will shut the computer down. So open notepad and copy this in
%windir%\system32\shutdown.exe -s -t 00
save it as shutdown.bat

Now if you dubble click on that file your computer will shutdown. Now we need to set this to run at 12:00 so go

Start
then
Control Panel
then
Scheduled Tasks
then
Add Scheduled Task

In the wizard that comes up press Browse and find the file we just made. Then select to run it Daily. The press Next set the time, and press Next again enter the user name and password (this might be the tricky part). And then your done.

Edited by Michael, 26 December 2006 - 08:38 PM.

vise

vise

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Hmm, that just might work.. Let me try it out. Thanks for replying!

vise

ghetto_smurf

ghetto_smurf

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
That's interesting. It's a neat little trick that I could find a lot of use for but never actually thought about it too much. I'm just curious here, though. Couldn't you just schedule the original shutdown.exe file from your system32 directory?

vise

vise

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
Well, it works! :whistling:
Excellent, thanks Michael

vise

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
Provided you got pass the password bit, I would expect it to. Glad it did.

That's interesting. It's a neat little trick that I could find a lot of use for but never actually thought about it too much. I'm just curious here, though. Couldn't you just schedule the original shutdown.exe file from your system32 directory?

NO, I did not add that for the fun of it, you need the other bit as well. Try running shutdown.exe, nothing happens. You see you need the -s to make it shut down. And I add -t 00 to remove the delay. There are other options to like -r to restart -l to log off.

I use it in shortcuts on my desktop, you can read more about that in the Easy XP tweaks #12 http://www.geekstogo...s...st&p=370272

Edited by Michael, 26 December 2006 - 11:51 PM.

vise

vise

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts
:whistling: thanks again