Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

win xp wont boot up...

• Please log in to reply

pandammonia

pandammonia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
Can anyone else help with this? The more the merrier i say!
Am running out of ideas and dont want to have to wait 2 weeks til the puter shop opens.

Edited by pandammonia, 29 December 2006 - 12:18 AM.

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
We need to get a boot disk you not having an A drive is a problem.
The reason I asked could you burn was I was thinking of a linux boot and trying to diable via that.
I will ask in the Staff room for ideas.

pandammonia

pandammonia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
Thanks 4 all your help. I might be able to get access to a portable a drive, am looking into it now.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
One of the disks I keep in my toolbox is Hiren's Boot CD. It has more tools then you can shake a stick at including some MBR repair tools that have brought back a system or two for me.

pandammonia

pandammonia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
OK, i have gained access to a portable a drive. :whistling: will be back with it in 45 mins.

pandammonia

pandammonia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
silverbeard- just had a looksie at that boot cd u recommended. It was a bit of a blur to me, i will download it while im going to get a:/ drive, but am afraid you would have to talk me through the process of using it step-by-step.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Hiren's comes in a ZIP file that contains a 60+MB .iso and the keyboard patch for non US keyboards. You burn it to a CD as an Image then you can boot it from the Optical drive. MBRWorks or Boot Fix will usually work.

pandammonia

pandammonia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
I cannot get the boot cd to download. dont know why. However i now havean a drive if this helps..

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Welcome aboard Silverbeard and thanks
I have never been able to grab a copy of Hiren. Your link does not load for me.

pandammonia

pandammonia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
ok, i copied boot.ini, ntldr, and ntldr.com to a drive and tried that 2 no avail. Am in the process now of downloading the setup disks for floppy install from microsoft. Once i get these how should i proceed?

Advertisements

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Did you try this ?
Boot disk1
If this boots then we try to change your Boot.ini file.
If this does not boot let me know the error.
Have you set the Bios to boot from A:

If you try the 6 disk option lets see iy you get the option for recovery console
Best to try 1 at a time.

John DeBona

John DeBona

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi I am having the same problem. I took my computer apart to move & when I set it back up & turned it on all I get is a blue screen with the microsoft windows emblem. I have tried replacing the watch battery, using a new operating system cd (not the one that came with my computer as I am unable to find it but a new one that just came with my daughters laptop.) starting in safe mode, etc. Nothing seems to work. I am also a novice & some of the things you talked about I don't understand but any help would be greatly appreciated.

pandammonia

pandammonia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
John,
You should start your own topic as your problem isnt the same as mine and it just confuses people. You will also recieve better help if you post your own topic.

Did you try this ?
Boot disk1
If this boots then we try to change your Boot.ini file.
If this does not boot let me know the error.

I did this but copied the files from this laptops C:\ drive, and it didnt work. I also recieved no error message it just went to same options screen and they all took me to the same place they did before. I havent tried copying from the I386 folder yet.. though how do i make a boot.ini file?

If you try the 6 disk option lets see iy you get the option for recovery console
Best to try 1 at a time.

I did try the 6 disk option last night, it got to the 6th disk and then went black and bsod came up with this message: A problem has occurred and installation has stopped to prevent system damage.
Its recommended you scan your hard drive for viruses, remove any newly installed hard drives or HDD drivers and run ChkDsk /F to check your hard drive for errors.
Error code - STOP 0x0000007B (0xF7C79524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I tried doing this twice and always came to same point.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
ok your boot disk needs a boot.ini
on the laptop go to the command prompt and change back to C:>
to go back up the directory type cd\ press enter this will take you back to c:
at the c:> type boot.ini press enter (You put in the word type before boot.ini)
if it looks ok then we will just copy the boot.ini to your floppy.
When you put the 1st or the 6 boot disk in the drive and reboot it says welcome to windows setup
what happens if you press R

Edited by peterm, 30 December 2006 - 07:28 AM.

pandammonia

pandammonia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 89 posts
Hey peterm,
Thanks again for persisting through this with me. much appreciated :whistling:
I did the command prompt routine as you suggested and it read as follows.
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi<0>disk<0>rdisk<0>partition<2>\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi<0>disk<0>rdisk<0>partition<2>\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional"
/noexecute=optin /fastdetect

As to the 6 boot disk question, I didnt see an option to press R, (& i didnt know u could press it before prompt..(?)) It says something about sata/raid devices and ASR (Automated system recovery), also theres a new screen in my initial bios setup before windows that says something about primary and secondary sata devices not detected, but then keeps loading to normal screen.