Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Advice on setting up a home wireless network

• Please log in to reply

friarboy

friarboy

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have been wanting to "go wireless" at home for some time- currently I have wired Verizon DSL hooked up to my Compaq desktop. I also have 2 Dell laptops that I use when I'm traveling, one is my own, the other is a corporate machine, I use a US Robotics 54 Mbps adapter with both of these.

Due to other people getting new hardware, family members are "donating" 2 iMacs to me today. One will be for the kids, the other I want to put in the bedroom to use just for web access. One has an Apple AirPort card.

Other than using my wireless adapter, I don't have any experience with wireless networking. Do any of you folks have recommendations for what basic, reliable hardware I ought to purchase that these various machines will connect to? My house is about 1500 sq. ft. and I doubt that more than 2 of the computers will be connected at any time (famous last words).

Advertisements

hudihoo

hudihoo

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
for reliability and price i recomend a linksys wireless router. I personally use the WRT54g and like it alot. no problems good range.

im_here

im_here

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I agree with 'hudihoo' (only because i've got one also). It's painless, now cheap and relatively easy to setup.
Only thing is... as in all things computers, where do you jump in!
The wireless 'g' is now cheap, but even though i like the linksys system, it's not really the greatest distance of coverage!
If you want long distance, but don't expect the standards to be settled quit yet, then the Mimo or Pre-N is worth considering, but at a higher price.

regards, im_here