Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Java is Blocking Live Page

• Please log in to reply

jbone

jbone

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi folks,

I am having trouble with a particular page that has live help. You are supposed to be able to get on and chat with people on it. Unfortunately I cannot get it to work yet everyone else I speak to seems to have no trouble getting it going.

I am using Firefox 2.0.0.1 and IE 6.0. When I try to access the page in Firefox I get a message stating "Unable to Connect - Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at server.iad.liveperson.net."

When I try to connect using IE 6.0 I get a message stating "Page Cannot be displayed - Cannot find Sever".

I was hoping someone could please help me out with the situation. I am running Windows XP SP 2 and Java 1.5.0.9. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I would like to be able to access this page on a regular basis. Thanks.

Jason

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Are you using Spybot or Spyware Blaster or some other program that might be blocking iad.liveperson.net ? Just something to check.
Johanna

jbone

jbone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hi Johanna,

Thankyou for the reply, I did have Spyware Blaster. I uninstalled it but unfortunately it didn't fix the issue. Are there any other programs that might tend to block iad.liveperson.net?

I currently have Ewido Anti-Spyware, Ad-Aware SE Professional, Norton Internet Security 2005, Windows Defender, and Tune Up Utilities.

Jason

Edited by jbone, 30 December 2006 - 07:24 PM.

jbone

jbone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Ok guys, I still can't manage to get this fixed. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is it recommended that I uninstall any of the programs I mentioned in my post above that are installed on my PC?

I removed Tune Up Utilities but it was an expired trial version. I also uninstalled Spyware Blaster but it hasn't stopped the issue. Could it have left some traces behind that would still block certain pages if seen as a spyware risk?

Any help would be greatly appreciated as it is a problem that has been plaguing me for some time. Thanks.

Jason

jbone

jbone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Why is there no help for this problem? Has this problem been answered many times in the past and I can't seem to find it on the search section? Can someone please help me with this issue?

Jason

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Go into Control Panel>Add/Remove programs then click on the "set program access and defaults lower left side. How is you Java set?

* Microsoft Virtual Machine (for MSIE)
http://www.microsoft.com/mscorp/java/
* Sun Java™ Plugin (for Netscape, Opera, MSIE, etc..)
http://java.com/en/download/index.jsp
Do you need to update or install?
Johanna

jbone

jbone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks for the reply Johanna. Under all three drop down lists of "Microsoft Windows", "Non-Microsoft", and "Custom", the only thing it says about Java is "Use my current virtual machine for Java". I have tried re-installing in the past but it didn't fix the issue. Could I have missed something?

Jason

jbone

jbone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Ok I Installed JRE 1.5_10 and it is still not appearing. I did a Virtual Machine Diagnostic that came up with a result stating I did not have Virtual Machine.

That is quite odd because apparently it should be included with JRE. Do I need to install VM separately? If so, can someone please let me know where can I get it from because Microsoft can no longer provide it and Java says you cannot download it on its own. :whistling:

Jason

Edited by jbone, 03 January 2007 - 11:27 PM.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
http://bhandler.spaces.live.com/blog/cns&#...!1231.entry
VM is here, midway down the page.
Test Java here:
http://www.javatester.org/version.html

Johanna

jbone

jbone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Thanks Johanna,

I downloaded the VM installer but when I ran it, it came up with a message saying "This setup will only upgrade over an existing version of the Microsoft VM" then stated installation was complete. However when I go to check the DOS prompt by typing "jview" it states that it is not there. Is this just an update to an existing JVM?

Jason