Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD-RW's not seen as CD-RW after burn...

• Please log in to reply

Webslinger

Webslinger

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi,

For a few weeks now something strange is happening when I burn a cd-rw with Nero 7 (even after upgrading to the latest version);
The whole burn proces (data cd) goes perfect and the result is likewise.
But when I try to erase the cd-rw disk to re-use it I get a screen telling me the disk is not a RW-disk.

I always used the same RW-disks (Sony) and I used them this way for years, I can't figure out what's wrong.

I tried erasing with other programmes like Alcohol 120 but got the same result "This is not a RW disk" (or something like that).

I tried it with another drive (I have a cd-r(w) drive and a dvd-r(w) drive in my pc), got the same result.

I tried updating the firmwares of my drives to the latest version; you guessed it folks, same results.

I tried 5 RW disks now, all are now officially in an identity crisis because my computer tells them they are no longer RW’s. Trust me, you have never seen such a sad bunch of disks.

Even a older rw-disk from before the problems started can’t be erased now.

I went trough all the Nero settings (I read somewhere that a problems could occur if rw’s where set to finalize after burn) but I never changed any of the settings before the problem started and I don’t get a finalize choice when I insert a rw disk.

I’m lost.
Someone help me, please.

Edited by Webslinger, 28 December 2006 - 03:17 AM.

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
CD-RWs don't have an infinite life. They can only be wiped and rewritten to so many times. There comes a point where they effectively turn into CD-Rs, as they can't be wiped anymore.

If you have had these disks for years, chances are they've by now lost the ability to be rewritten (as they've been essentially worn out) so the only solution is new media I'm afraid.

Webslinger

Webslinger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thank you for the reply.

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear;
Yes, I've used the same type of Sony RW-Disks for the last years, but I haven't used the SAME RW-disks the last years.
I've even bought new ones when these problems started and the problems remain with every RW-media I use.

Update; I've now tested with DVD-RW media and get the same problem!

What the XXXX is going on...

Edited by Webslinger, 28 December 2006 - 07:13 AM.

Webslinger

Webslinger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I finally figured it out.
The cause of the problem was Alcohol 120%!
When I uninstalled it I could use all my RW's again!

Webslinger