Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problems after installing new hard Drive - Help!

• Please log in to reply

rogerbid

rogerbid

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Hi Everyone, and best wishes for the New Year.

I have a real puzzle on my hands and hope someone can assist me. I took advantage of a few days off work over the holiday season to change to a bigger Hard Drive, but have run into difficulties.

The Hard Drive I removed has on it the main XP Pro installatin (C:\ drive) plus 3 partitions labeled Testlab, Video and Data. The C:\ drive has a large number of programs installed which I may use only once a year or even less. I do not want to clutter my new installation of XP Pro with the same programs and, not wanting to lose them completely, I thought it would be a good idea to clone the old C:\ drive to a partition on the new HDD and dual boot to the two installations of XP Pro. (I hope I am explaining this well enough!)

With the original HDD physically removed all went well, and I successfully connected the new HDD, installed XP Pro on the new C:\ drive and then created a partition with the empty space. So far so good.

My problems arose when I then connected the original HDD (with jumpers set to make it a slave device)
and went to boot up. The new HDD (C:\) was ignored completely and the original XP system booted with the primary drive being assigned the drive letter C:\. I was expecting the new C:\ XP drive to load, and detect the slave HDD but as it hasnt I am at a loss to know where to go from here.

I have tried making changes in the boot order in the BIOS but that doesn't have any effect at all.

Can someone suggest anything to overcome this problem please?

Thanks and best wishes to all, Roger Bideleux

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
This may not work but make sure the new drive is connected to the end connector on the data cable and the old drive is connected to the middle connector. Some computers do not like it when you use jumpers alone to make the distinction between master and slave. You can also try connecting the old drive as the master on the secondary IDE if the computer has that ( most do) and set the cdrom drive as secondary slave, using the jumpers.

It could be that the bios is looking for the hard drive identification files to start up, but that gets kinda complicated to change.

Something you may also want to look into is Xosl.

http://www.ranish.com/part/xosl.htm

SRX660