Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Notebook keyboard won't work

• Please log in to reply

jmayhugh

jmayhugh

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I first posted this under malware, but it may fit better here. It's not an easy problem to characterize.

I'm trying to help a friend's kid with a notebook problem. He has a two year old Toshiba Satellite running XP. He had complained about some virus problems and I told him I would try to clean this up over the Christmas holiday break.

Unfortunately, when I got the notebook the problems were much worse than I expected. At startup, under most conditions the cursor won't move to select the login id. After several efforts, I did have a couple of times when the cursor would move to select an id, but then the keyboard wouldn't allow me to type a password. I could hit a lot of keys repeatedly and eventually some letters would be typed in the password block, but of course these were just random characters.

I tried to boot up into safe mode, but the keyboard didn't work reliably there either. Initially, it ignored key presses. I found that by pushing all of the F keys randomly I did get to the correct screen. When I was able to get the correct screen, I couldn't scroll up to select safe mode. Again, the keyboard didn't work at all.

I thought the next thing to try would be booting up from the xp disc, but was not able to get into the BIOS to change boot location. I finally removed the hard drive and was able to get to the BIOS screen, but once again the keyboard buttons wouldn't allow me to scroll to the correct setting.

I have been able to log into the "guest" user name (w/o administrator privileges) during one of my many efforts, and in that account the keyboard mostly seems to work OK.

It seems like this is a malware problem, but I'm at a complete loss how to proceed. We have no problem losing everything stored on the computer, but I can't even get to the point of doing that. Any advice on what to try?

Advertisements