Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Review of Parts for First Build

• Please log in to reply

Cmdhoek

Cmdhoek

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Well, long story short, my PC died and I need a new one. I want to go cheap, but with enough zip to do some gaming, online and offline. I decided to build my own (with the help from a friend) and I really wanted to make sure the parts I've picked out will get the job done and are all compatible. I appreciate all the help!

Processor:
AMD Athlon 64 4000+

Mobo:
Gigabyte

Vid Card: (I wanted to go with 256, but this 128 card had a higher core speed then the other 256 cards in it's price range...suggestions?)
Leadtek - 128MB

Ram:
Corsair 1GB

Hard Drive: (my concern here is that this is SATA 3.0Gb/s when my MOBO has SATA 1.5Gb/s specifications)
Western Digital - 250GB

CD/DVD:
LiteOn

Case:
This is one thing I really need a suggestion on. Anyone that has a good suggestion please let me know. I'm looking for functionality and price, so cosmetics is not a deciding factor.

Besides for my Power Source, is there anything I'm missing? How does the above look for a first build? Thanks everyone for your help and advise!

-Adam

Edited by Cmdhoek, 28 December 2006 - 04:03 PM.

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Too bad you didn't see the newegg case for $0.00 after the rebate, i put up here last week. Its still not a bad case in my opinion so here it is. I have never liked most of the power supply's that come with cases so i usually will install a good enermax or better PS.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811145046

most people have their computer stuck in a cubby hole or somewhere out of the way so they really never look at it. I like this case for the side USB ports and the ability to mount HDs with space for cooling around them. I own 4 of these cases now and don't mind them at all. But if you insist on something better i would pick this.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811153027

It's still cheap but it don't look half bad.

I do not like your motherboard choice. Spend the money for a better MB like a AM2 MB. Get a AM2 CPU also because together it may cost you $100 more but you get much more than that from a AM2 setup than a plain athlon 939 setup. A good AM2 motherboard will have Sata 3.0 support and the price is only $10 more than your 939 MB. If you like to game always go for the higher memory cards with 256 or better on-board memory. Another thing i really like with games is the sounds. on-board is Ok but a good SB Audigy card can be transfered to a newer computer later on and really makes for great sounds with a good 2.1 or better speaker setup.

SRX660

Cmdhoek

Cmdhoek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Any suggestions on the Mobo and Pocessor? and vid card?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
My choices for a cheap build. In my consideration i build a computer to last me 6 months and then i sell it. I do try to build a computer that other people would want to buy so i keep it simple and buy the fastest/cheapest i can afford at that time.

So, heres what i think is fastest/cheapest.

AMD X2 3800
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103735

Gigabyte GA-M55Plus
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128010

BFG GeForce 7600GT 256MB
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814143049

Total cost (after rebate)
$313.75

Cost your system parts were.
$203.51

Slightly more but a much easier sell in 6 months than yours. By the way Newegg has sold out on your vidoe card already. So adding in case( the $34 one)memory, dvd drive, hard drive, and a $90 Power supply to either one you have either $526 for yours or $607 for mine. And i think in 6 months you will still be able to get at least $350 out of this computer( if not more). Well worth it for a interim computer. I say this because either you do not have the money to build what you want or you are planning on waiting until prices settle down on the Core2 Duo cpu's to built a much better computer later.

If it is a money thing it is still better to spend a little bit more so resale value will be better. Otherwise do not build a cheap computer at all. I build to a price because every computer i build i eventually sell. So i build for the best bang for the buck but with the idea it is to be sold soon.So i end up build a middle ground computer with some good quality parts. I have a group of people that when they go looking for a new computer they look me up to see what i have before even going looking on the net.

If its just the high prices on the conroe system, i would make do with a used computer if necessary until i could afford the system i want. I frustrated myself many times years ago because i didn't like prices of computers i wanted to build so i did without or made do with a cheap build that i really was not happy with.

SRX660