Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

networking a pc to a laptop with a a sprint wireless card

• Please log in to reply

mrq201

mrq201

• PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
i dont know if the topic description is clear enough but i will try to explain as best as i can.

I am getting a sprint pc card for my laptop so i can connect to the internet wherever i go. I really do not want to pay for highspeed internet again, so is there a way for me to connect to the internet with my pc or more or less create a network with the laptop as the main hub or whatever the term is called. Thank you. If i have not explained it clearly, let me know and i will try my best to further explain.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Let me lay out a scenario and let me know if this is what you've got.

You have highspeed internet at home already with one PC. You want to also have your laptop connected via wireless card to the same highspeed internet.

What you need to add to the mix is a wireless router. You can pick up one just about anywhere - Wal-mart, Best Buy, Circuit City, possibly Office Depot.

Is that close to what you were asking?

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
its kinda the reverse. I am getting a sprint wireless air card for my laptop. I will be moving and My laptop will have wireless internet wherever i go because i will have the sprint wireless card. I want to know if i can get internet for my pc through the wireless card that my laptop is using.

Its like the reverse of having a pc with a a router and a modem, and having the laptop get internet through that.

so i think what i would have to do is to get a wireless network usb adapter for my pc

did i make it clearer what i want to do??

Edited by mrq201, 29 December 2006 - 04:37 PM.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I'm not familiar with Sprint's service, so I don't know how/if that will work.

Maybe someone else on the forum knows more about Sprint's service?

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I don't think that what you are asking will work. Your sprint card works off of a cell tower. It receives a "signal" from that tower. It does not transmit a signal.

Your sprint card works like the one I have. It "dials" to find a signal. It could be any strength, depending on numerous reasons.

A wireless usb adapter plugs into a laptop/ computer and looks for a signal, and since the sprint card does not send one out, there will be no signals to receive.