Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP LogOn Trouble

• Please log in to reply

mwe1969

mwe1969

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi to everyone,
I will get right to it. When i turn my computer on and the system boots up before i can get to my desktop i get a LogOn Message that reads:

The system could not log you on. Make sure you typed the correct user name and domain and then re-type your password.

Below this message is a ok button. when i click on the button the Windows Welcome page comes up with all of the user names listed. i then click on my name and im sent to the desktop.

How do i get rid of the LogOn message.

thanks

mwe1969

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
It sounds like something has gone wrong with the auto logon feature, but Home version shouldn't be asking for a domain.

Did you upgrade to Windows XP from Windows 2000 (or some other version)?

Has this always happened? If not, is there something that happened just before it started?

Please check the Event Log for errors. Go to Control Panel, Administrative Tools, Event Viewer. On the right side are three categories: Application, Security, and System. Check under Application and System for Warning or Error events that happened at the same date/time as the login error. Once you have opened and event, you'll have a "copy to clipboard" icon on the right side just under the down arrow. Paste the error(s) in this thread.

Do you have antivirus and anti-spyware software installed, updated, and do you perform regular scans?

titandawn

titandawn

• Pip
  • 9 posts
hey

It might help to erase all usernames, reboot to see if it helps, then put all usernames back in.
But you might lose some information like the desktop shortcuts of the users you erase.

reinstalling would fix it.