Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Comptuer Dvd Drive problem or Windows problem?

• Please log in to reply

naj06

naj06

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am having a strange problem. When ever I am incerting a blank DVD Disk in to my computer's My DVD ROM it change from "DVD Drive" to "CD Drive". I tried to several DVD's and got the same result. Becase of this, I am unable to play any DVDs in my computer, not even able to burn any DVds.

Any store DVD and Burned DVD working fine.

Any help please?

thank you.

Edited by naj06, 28 December 2006 - 06:52 PM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
If both store-bought DVD's and burned DVD's are working, what exactly is the problem you are having? Are you referring to blank DVD's giving you this message? If so, that is normal for a blank DVD to change your drive name to CD because Windows doesn't know what to make of it because the DVD is blank and hasn't been formatted in anyway to make it recognizable by Windows.

Fenor

naj06

naj06

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you so much for your reply.
Yes, as far as I noticed, I am having this problem when using a Blank dvd. Problem is, i am unable to burn any dvd using my drive too. It is saying ' Please insert a blank or rewritable CD into the drive' when i already have a dvd in my drive.

Any help please. Thank you.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Go to START-->RUN and type devmgmt.msc and click OK. In the new window that appears, click the + symbol next to DVD/CD-ROM DRIVES. Locate your entry corresponding to your DVD R/W drive and right-click it and choose Uninstall. Then reboot your computer. Once it is rebooted, Windows will detect the DVD R/W drive and will automatically install the drivers for it. Once it's finished installing, reboot your computer again and once rebooted, try burning a CD. If that works, then try burning a DVD.

Fenor

naj06

naj06

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thank you so much. I will try and let you konw.