Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Connection lost after ~ 20 minutes although still connected t

• Please log in to reply

KDL

KDL

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi... I have a Wireless Network setup with Cable DSL Modem and NetGear Wireles router. The one computer that is connected to the network using a wireless adapter works fine. I hardly ever lose connection with that computer and reconnecting to the network is not an issue (disable / repair). BUT... I have a very frustrating probem with the Main computer which is connected to the wireless router with an ethernet cable. The network icon shows I am connected to the network ( "status - connected", "speed 108Mbps") but I lose connection to the internet, outlook express, yahoo/aim/msn, etc after about 20 minutes from startup. The only way I can get it working again is to reboot each time (FRUSTRATING!). I can't disable and repair it either. I even had a support tech here to set up my network and they have been back to repair but it still has the same problem. Hoping someone can help me out. I'm not computer savy at all so please bear with me. This has been going on from day one with this network connection even after the tech re-installed it. Please help. Any info you need I will be glad to supply.

By the way.. right now I can browse the last site I visited even by starting a new Internet Explorer page but I can't browse any other websites. Can't even go to my home page "Google" but I can stop the page from searching for google and enter the last website visited and it will go to it without an issue.

System info...

Windows XP
Netgear WGT624 108Mbps Wireless Router
Motorola SB5100 Surfboard Cable Modem
Internet Explorer 6.0.2900.2180

THANKS and HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!

Advertisements

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Hi. My guess is that you can still see these pages due to leftover cookies, or internet cache. Now, can you tell me what you and/or your technician have tried? There's a list of things you can do to help fix this issue, but listing each one could be quite time consuming. Do you have any idea what you have tried?

KDL

KDL

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for replying Storm...

When he was here last he could see the problem I was taking about so the first thing he tried was the "Disable/Repair" tactic even though the computer shows it's connected to the network already. That didn't work. He then tried resolving by rebuilding the Network from scratch. That didn't work (same issue.. able to surf the net for a while then no longer). He then noticed I had not upgraded to Service Pack II yet and he had high hopes that this was the source of the problem. The upload took a lot of time so I think he was banking on this being the fix. We were able to search the web for a few minutes after the upload so he left but in fairness he did say he felt the problem would be resolved with that fix but to contact him if the problem still existed. Of course after ~20 minutes or so I couldn't search the web any longer. Thats all I noticed him try. I haven't called the tech back because I'm hoping I can get even more assistance here and what a great place for me to become more computer savy.

I hope this helps. Let me know if there is any more info you need from me and Thanks!!!

By the way in the 20 minutes or so I have been on line, I am able to browse this site pretty well but I can't go to any other sites or start a new I.E. page and go to any other sites. I guess that's the leftover cookie's or internet cache thing working.

Edited by KDL, 29 December 2006 - 07:29 AM.

Facedown98

Facedown98

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,989 posts
Ok, well... Let's try working with your Ethernet Card Drivers. Please do this...

Click on Start and then click on Run. In the RUn box, type
devmgmt.msc
press <enter>

Your Device Manager will now appear.

I want you to click on the plus (+) sign to the left of "Network Adapters"

Please list any and all devices that now appear underneath Network Adapters.

KDL

KDL

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Under "Network Adapters" it shows 2 items...

1394 Net Adapter
Realtek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC

KDL

KDL

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Stormknight6... I just got back from along weekend away. Happy New Year. Hope you can still help me out with this issue.

Thanks!

hk91

hk91

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi kdl,
I feel your pain.
I erased my hard drive also. On 11-17-2006
After re-installing xp pro OS, I had no ethernet. Among other things.
After I got ethernet back, I would lose internet after 5 to 30 minutes.
In my efforts to get ethernet back I picked up 34 trojens and virouses.
This is what killed my connectivity.
After installing avg free and scanning. It removed my problems.
Now my ethernet is fine and free. As of 01-05-07

KDL

KDL

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks hk91!! Glad to hear I'm not insane and someone else had this same problem.
I will give it a try and let you know what happens.

Thanks again!