Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

blue screen then nothing !

• Please log in to reply

rxdotcom

rxdotcom

• PipPip
  • 65 posts
I have a 3 y/o Emachine T2692
One day, came in to see a blue screen that said "possible driver error"- restart machine.
I restarted it, Windows opens, no mouse, keyboard working.
Restarted again, the computer starts ticking, and hard drive light flashes, but nothing works.
Restarted again, now I just have ticking, no windows.
Disconnected hard drive, and restarted, just ticking.
Reconnected hard drive, After 3rd restart, no ticking, DEAD

Power supply dead? Motherboard dead?

HELP !!!!!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
According to Google this range of eMachines doesn't seem to last any more than about three years because of the power supplies they put in them. They basically malfunction because they're shoddily put together and there's no voltage regulation in any of them. Eventually the units start outputting power levels that cook the mainboard, but by the time you notice anything its too late. All you can do is replace the board and hope everything else (hard drive, CD units etc) are okay.

See this post:
http://www.techspot....artboot-up.html

This isn't a problem unique to this particular line of eMachine computers, it's a general eMachines problem overall. The 420 series is very badly affected.

rxdotcom

rxdotcom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Am I better off buying a completely new computer (Dell? HP?), or is it worth investing in a new power supply, then possibly a new motherboard?

And can I purchase any power supply, or does it have to match the Emachines system?

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
if you get a new power supply you just need to make sure its enough power and fits the case

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Im kinda new here but we sure do seem to get alot of emachine problems....

Just thought I would bring that up heheh, I have never ever worked on, or even seen for sale, an Emachine. Maybe they over look my area as a market, thankfully.

rxdotcom

rxdotcom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
how much power do i need?

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
see what watt the one you have says, more than likely you need a little more than it is

rxdotcom

rxdotcom

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
had the power supply and mobo tested...dead ! time for a new machine, any suggestions for about $500-$600 ?

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
See this is what these wonderful machines can do! BREAK! I have one and I know for sure its gonna die soon..