Here were my symptoms prior to uninstalling and reinstalling Win XP MCE:
* Video would be fine up until the Windows login screen would appear, and then I would get a bunch of garble that was mostly horizontal lines.
* Once logging into Windows by fumbling around blindly, I could get nice crisp video on an external monitor. I could then have video on the laptop's monitor by tweaking the display settings. Tried restarting to see if this would fix anything, but it did not.
* Prior to the un/reinstall I had one startup that went fine for about 10 minutes, as if nothing had ever happened, and then the screen locked up again.
* Could boot into VGA mode without problems.
* At this point, attempting to login through safe mode would result in a hang-up on "mup.sys". Occasionally I would also get a BSOD related to "ati2vag".
* At the advice of HP tech support, I then uninstalled and reinstalled windows.
Symptoms since un/reinstalling Windows:
* I no longer can see anything on my display after the Win XP splash leaves the screen.
* I can no longer get a signal on an external monitor.
* Can usually boot into Safe mode although I have had a few hang-ups on mup.sys.
* I can boot fine into VGA mode.
* I have yet to receive a BSOD message.
* I know things are running in the background as I can still shut down windows by striking the proper key combinations and I still get audio upon logging in.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as my next school semester will be starting soon and I live by my laptop.
Also, while I am far from an expert, I have had significant experience in assembling and disassembling computers, DVD players, etc. I am comfortable and confident in being able to work with hardware if that is the case.