Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Video after Win XP starts

• Please log in to reply

campusrunner

campusrunner

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am the owner of an HP zd8060us laptop and I have been having some severe video issues since a MS Outlook lockup.

Here were my symptoms prior to uninstalling and reinstalling Win XP MCE:

* Video would be fine up until the Windows login screen would appear, and then I would get a bunch of garble that was mostly horizontal lines.
* Once logging into Windows by fumbling around blindly, I could get nice crisp video on an external monitor. I could then have video on the laptop's monitor by tweaking the display settings. Tried restarting to see if this would fix anything, but it did not.
* Prior to the un/reinstall I had one startup that went fine for about 10 minutes, as if nothing had ever happened, and then the screen locked up again.
* Could boot into VGA mode without problems.
* At this point, attempting to login through safe mode would result in a hang-up on "mup.sys". Occasionally I would also get a BSOD related to "ati2vag".
* At the advice of HP tech support, I then uninstalled and reinstalled windows.

Symptoms since un/reinstalling Windows:

* I no longer can see anything on my display after the Win XP splash leaves the screen.
* I can no longer get a signal on an external monitor.
* Can usually boot into Safe mode although I have had a few hang-ups on mup.sys.
* I can boot fine into VGA mode.
* I have yet to receive a BSOD message.
* I know things are running in the background as I can still shut down windows by striking the proper key combinations and I still get audio upon logging in.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as my next school semester will be starting soon and I live by my laptop.

Also, while I am far from an expert, I have had significant experience in assembling and disassembling computers, DVD players, etc. I am comfortable and confident in being able to work with hardware if that is the case.

Thanks guys!

Advertisements

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Before you do anything have a drivers disk on hand.
My bet is your video drivers have become corrupted.
Boot into Safe Mode and delete your video adapter from your Device Manager. This will force your adapter to revert to VGA mode when it boots. Windows should prompt you to reinstall the device drivers. I it does not don't be worried. That will be the next step. When you have your computer up and running in normal mode go to the Device Manager and reinstall the drivers.

campusrunner

campusrunner

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
@ acklan:

Just tried this, no luck. The system booted into VGA mode, I installed the drivers, restarted and the same problem was there.

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Did it start in VGA mode in normal start up, or VGA mode in Safe Mode only?

campusrunner

campusrunner

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
@ acklan:

It booted into VGA mode while in normal start up.

I just noticed you are from Baton Rouge, I grew up in St. Francisville to your north. What a world.

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
I lived on Patin Dike Rd. in New Roads for several years. Next to the LA Express.
I believe you either have bad drivers or a faulty video adapter. Since it was working fine, then started to give you problems I would guess a drivers. Try reinstalling the drivers after using Driver Cleaner 3.3 to remove the drivers. It was written especially for ATI and nVidia driver removal. Go to the website and download a fresh set of drivers.
If this does not work I would believe your video adapter is faulty. Do you have another video card you can try, in the event the drivers do not solve your problem?