Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Search won't load, my DVD Drive reading as a CD Drive.

• Please log in to reply

Painless

Painless

• PipPip
  • 38 posts
Okay, whenever I click on search a loading hourglass appears for about half a second, then goes away. However search doesn't appear.

Secondly, my DVD Drive stopped auto reading disk lately and I didn't know why.. For example, when you put in a blank CD it asks what you want to do with it, or if you load a game it asks to install or play, etc etc.
Reason I didn't post this in Hardware is because after a bit of looking into it, I noticed this:
Posted Image
(D: ) normally says DVD RAM, (F: ) is a virtual drive.
However on Hardware Manager, Alcohol 120% and Nero it still says it's working perfectly as a DVD Burner.
I was going to post in hardware section, but I didn't think it was a hardware problem.

Advertisements

Slikkie

Slikkie

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Hello Painless

Have you tried re-installing the DVD drive? When did this problem occur? Did you install any new software/hardware recently?

Slikkie :whistling:

Painless

Painless

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
I don't know when it started to do that, but recently I've installed Ubuntu but that was after this problem, I also installed Alcohol 120% around about that time..

I have re-installed it twice now.. It doesn't make a difference.

Slikkie

Slikkie

• PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
The problem may be linked to a type of malware. I suggest you follow the steps in this post, just to make sure your PC is clean. If the problem persists, I will do my best to find a solution. :blink:

Slikkie :whistling:

Painless

Painless

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
K, now here's the confusing part.. Everything's running fine now >.<
I un-installed Alcohol 120% a while ago, to see if that was the problem, made no difference. Instead of re-installing it I decided to install Daemon Tools instead.

It just started working again.. I also un-installed my Nvidia driver and re-installed the older one.. The newer version annoys me.

So I did them about the same time.. I dunno which fixed it.