Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AVG Virus Scan-Boot sector of disk reading error

• Please log in to reply

NYTerrier

NYTerrier

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi,

Some days when the AVG virus scan is running, it says boot sector of disk reading error for the C drive. The message goes away after I run a chkdsk scan. Is this just a bug with AVG or do I need to be worried? Otherwise, my PC is in pretty good shape (I had help from your staff a few weeks ago for removing malware, etc).

I have Windows XP.
Thank you.

Edited by NYTerrier, 30 December 2006 - 07:29 AM.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Are you using AVG 7.5

Have you uninstalled then re-installed

NYTerrier

NYTerrier

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thank you for your help. I just uninstalled and reinstalled AVG 7.5. It was completely up to date when I deleted it (it checks for updates daily). The scan has been running and the boot sector error has not shown up. It usually shows up toward the beginning of the scan. I hope this fixes the problem. I won't be able to say if it worked for certain until we have gone through a few days of scans. There was no obvious reason for the error message. Every time I saw it, I ran chkdsk and then the scan would come up clean. A day or two later, the scan has the error message. I'm not sure with the continually updated version why this occurs.

Unless you have any other suggestions, can we keep the thread open for a couple of days so I can see if the reinstallation worked?

Thank you very much!!!

Amy

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The thread will stay open as usual, they are only marked resolved when they are, and at the request of the poster

The first thing is an uninstall and re-install, especially with free programmes, or any which do not take too long

Do you have any registry cleaners, as they can remove something a programme wants. Also a programme like spybot search and destroy or adaware se might quarrantine something

NYTerrier

NYTerrier

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Yes, I use ATF Cleaner, AdAware SE & AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5. I downloaded all of these programs after following all of the Hijack This Log instructions. I deleted McAfee because I was getting constant registry change warnings.

If I get another error message, I will post in this thread. If the error does not reappear in a few days, I will post that as well so the thread can be closed..

Thanks again,
Amy

NYTerrier

NYTerrier

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hi,

The error message is still coming up periodically even though I reinstalled AVG Virus Scan. The error message is not consistent. If I run chkdsk, it is gone with the next scan, but then it comes up another day.

Thanks,
Amy