Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

removing a harddrive and installing it in another pc

• Please log in to reply

mrq201

mrq201

• PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
I have two pcs..

hp pavilion 503n and hp pavilion 515n

I installed an additional 80 gig harddrive to the 503n and now i want to install it into the 515n.

All i want to do and am going to do is take it out of the 503n and install it on the 515n. I am not going to format the 80 gig before i install it onto the 515n. Is this wise? Also if i do not reformat the 80 gig (503n), would the data that it holds be on the 515n, once i install it?

Is there anything i should know before attempting this.

Both pcs are running win xp

Thank you

Advertisements

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
if its just a slave, then its like a sdcard, you can put it in the computer and remove it anytime. no extra formating

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
yeah its a slave.. and i am abot to do it right now...

can i use the ide cable from the 515n and use it to attach the 80 gig into it?

im guessin i can... but i just want to make sure.

it is my first time doing something like this

also when i remove the 80 gig from the 503n, do i have to reset anything or anything settings on the 503n?

thank you

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
you can use the cable, but then you dont have a cable in the other computer unless you switch them. you do not need to change any settings on either computer

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
ok where are the other screws on the harddrive case.. i remove the one on the side, and i am guessing there are some others because it still feels as tho it is firmly placed in... it is an hp 503n

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
if the other sidepanel is removable more than likely there are to be screws

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
ok ill continue lookin but ugh... this is already gettin on my nerves because i know its an easy process... any ideas as to where the other screws will be

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
should be on the otherside of the harddrive

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
i think i foud the other screw.... now i need a very short screw driver to remove the screw and i think i also have to remove the casing for the fan, or i think that is what it is