Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

motherboard & xp2500

• Please log in to reply

andydf

andydf

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 1,660 posts
Hi TT's

Ok here's my problem.
The motherboard in my PC decided it was time to give up, it was a PCchips M848A (don't laugh). Anyway i found an old ECS K7S5A and fitted it into the case. The CPU is an Athlon XP2500, now here's the problem (i'm guessing you already know what's coming) the cpu was only being recognized as an XP1700, and this board is not the best for overclocking. I then decided to flash the bios with a "cheepoman" version which gave me more bios options and managed to get it to register as an XP2000 that's with the bios set at 150/150, there is a 166/166 option but for some reason it will not boot using this setting (power supply?).
Now the question, is there any way to get this thing up to it's correct operating speed?

Thanks in advance

Andy

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

what actual speed (in MHz) is the cpu currently running at?

Artik2

Artik2

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My recommendation is that you better buy an used mobo... like the abit nf7-s. Even you will be able to overclock that possessor.

Edited by Artik2, 30 December 2006 - 12:15 PM.

andydf

andydf

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Visiting Consultant
  • 1,660 posts
Hi Samm

According to tuneup utilities it's running at 1667MHz not sure what the default is for an XP2500, before the mobo blew it was just over 2000MHz (it was overclocked to XP2800 at that time and had been for a long time)

Artik2, thanks for the suggestion, however at this time I've got to get the best out of what I've got, plus the fact that this is an OEM install and luckily (this time) it activated without problem, another mobo change would probably cause me more hassle than it's worth.

Andy :whistling:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Depending on which core the cpu has, a 2500+ should be running at approx 1.7 - 1.8GHz at 166MHz FSB, so the current speed isn't too far off. It looks like the multiplier is probably correct & the cpu speed is lower than it should be due to the FSB setting. However, if you can't boot up when the FSB is adjusted to 166, then there's not much you can do about that. You could increase the multiplier to 11.5 (11.5 x 150 = 1.725GHz) I guess, but I doubt you'll notice a significant improvement in performance.

andydf

andydf

Visiting Staff

• Topic Starter
  • Visiting Consultant
  • 1,660 posts
I did think as I was replying that 1667 wouldn't be too far off the correct speed, it's just that things are significantly slower than before, this CPU has the Barton core and as far as i can tell it's highly overclockable, maybe it's time to hand this one to the kids and treat myself to a new system :help:
Now all I gotta do is persuade the wife :blink:

Thanks for replying, guess i'll just keep tinkering and hope for the best.

Andy :whistling:

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Barton core is a good one - should be running at 1.8GHGHz with a vcore of 1.65V in that case. The problem you are having with performance may be due to the fact that the board doesn't properly support that cpu, or it may something completely different - such as the chipset the board uses etc.

Good luck with it anyway :whistling: