Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton stubborn ghost?

• Please log in to reply

sahmama_3

sahmama_3

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I have removed Norton Security Suite that came with my laptop in order to load AVG. I did this through add/remove and then used the NRT. However, when I go to the Windows Security center Norton still shows as being the active antivirus program. It even says it shows it is up-to-date on all updates. I don't want to download AVG until I know Norton is off--but how do I get it off?? :whistling: or maybe it is off but there is something wrong in the Windows Security Center that is not detecting that it is removed??

Any help would be much appreciated!

update:I just followed the instructions shown in the post re: Conflicting programs. I followed the link "snip" and did everything it asked. The security center still says "Norton Security Suite reports it is active and up-to-date" UGH!

Edited by sahmama_3, 30 December 2006 - 04:53 PM.

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
It's very strange. I recently installed NIS and later removed it through Add/Remove Programs in order to install a competing product, and I had no such problems. I didn't even have to use the NRT.

What I did do, however, is to use the Registry Editor (regedit.exe) to check for all keys and values containing the word Norton and deleted them before trying to install something else. You must also make sure that no part of NIS is left which loads at startup. Running the Microsoft Configuration Utility will confirm this (Start>Run--type MSCONFIG, press [enter] and view the items under the 'Startup' tab).

Edited by pip22, 31 December 2006 - 07:40 PM.

sahmama_3

sahmama_3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I checked in the Registry editor and found nothing that looks like Norton or Symantecs--only the SymNRT. I have run a reg cleaner and the NRT.

What would I have to do to get into the Windows Security Center and see if something is wrong there?

Do you think Iwould have a conflict/ problem if I went ahead and installed the AVG, seeing as I cannot find a trace of NIS except in the Security Center?

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Go into Admin Services> services and scroll down until you find "Norton Security Center". Right click and disable it, and you should be done with the problem. Likely, it is just reporting what it last knew before you uninstalled Norton. If Norton (Symantec) doesn't appear in Add/Remove, install your new firewall and av software. Bleed it dry for updates, and reboot as prompted. Symantec is notorious for leaving a lot of garbage in the registry, but XP is forgiving, and ignores it. There is a tool on Symantec's site for a forced removal, but I don't think you're going to need it. If you can't go online after you uninstall Norton fully, try a Winsock fix. I'd post the links for all this stuff, but I think this is going to be a straight up procedure for you. Holler back if you have questions or problems.
Johanna

sahmama_3

sahmama_3

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks Johanna for the reply--it had been so long since I first posted I was giving up--however, you say go to Admin Services. Where can I find that? COntrol Panel, Security Center? Not sure so if you could point me in the direction to go I would sure appreciate it! :whistling:)

oh and Norton does not appear in the Add/ Remove area. Thanks!

and I did go ahead and download AVG, now Security Center says "Windows is reporting 2 antivirus programs active and up to date."