Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

transfering more than 15 gigs of music from one pc to another

• Please log in to reply

mrq201

mrq201

• PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
is there anything i can use to transfer or save 15 gigs of music from one pc to another... any applications or software available to help me with this.. Thank you

Advertisements

pccromeo

pccromeo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
You can use your MP3 player. Here is an article which shows how to do it with your iPod

http://www.engadget....-off-your-ipod/

There is also a link to a free program which allows you to transfer the music off of your iPod in that article...But it could take some time (I'm guessing over an hour both ways) if you don't have a USB 2.0 port, which will greatly decrease the transfer time...

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
thank you very much.... will try it and let you know what happened...

is there any other software or program or freeware which lets me back up that amount of data for free online or something??
Thanks for your time once again

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
If you're planning to dump the old computer, keep the hard drive and either install it in the new computer or purchase an external hard drive enclosure. That way you have a second hard drive for additional storage or backup space.

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
see i was plannin on installin the old harddrive on the new pc, but it was hella hard to remove.... i removed one of the screws, but the other screw was soo hard to remove...

here is my scenario
i have two computers... a 503n and a hp 515n

i have an additional 80 gig in the 503n and thats where all my music is

i want to make the 515n my main pc and thus wanted to install the 80 gig into the 515n...

the hard part was removin the 80gig from the 503n.... so i just figured id just buy another hard drive and transfer the music from the 503n to the 515n

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you have a home network set up

pccromeo

pccromeo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
You can try Xdrive to store up to 5GB of data online, and yes, it's free :-)

http://www.xdrive.com/

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
in response to the home network... i have been trying to create one

i have 2pcs and one laptop.... the 515n is connected and thats the one i want the music on..

the 503n is the one i want to take the music off

the laptop is wirelessly connected

i cant share files or share the printer tho... i have been having problems with that...so i guess its a no.....ill try the xdrive thing tho... again, thank you for the help

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What happens when you try to share files

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
thats the thing.... setting up the network is hard......

i wont say its hard, but when i try to use the home networking wizard or whatever its called, it never works out for me.. i have the router and the modem and both pcs are running win xp..i really wish i could have access to the files and folders on my pc from my laptop tho...

any advice... but i guessin this is the wrong forum for this huh

pccromeo

pccromeo

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
Setting up a wireless home network is a pain, especially in Windows. Also, never buy a LinkSys router...They're cheap but believe me, you get what you pay for!

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Check it with this

http://www.geekstogo..._XP-t92406.html

mrq201

mrq201

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
thank you and i will try it again..... thanks for the quick response tho

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Once you get it set up you can use synctoy from my signature, which has the advantage of duplicating the folders to the other PC, so you can check it on the other PC before deleting it

JCSullivan

JCSullivan

• Pip
  • 7 posts
A bit late for an old topic but, If you have firewire on both - you can use that and not worry about the network.