Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU+Mother board upgrade

• Please log in to reply

Snippy

Snippy

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
Hello

I've been looking into a new CPU and mother board cause the current CPU I have atm is crap. Well the current CPU I have now is crap it's a pentuim D which i've been told is the worste ship intel ever released so I want to upgrade to a good CPU and one that will fit in my mother board cause I don't want to buy another Mother board but if I have to I guess I would.I believe my current CPU is slot type 775.I jsut need a few ideas on which one would be good for gaming. And will boost my FPS greatly! That is the main cause i want a new CPU is to boost the FPS.

And I was also wondering what else might effect FPS I know a graphic card will but I don't have to worry about that cause I have a top of the line Card ATM and I get low FPS in game so people have been telling me it's my CPU so yeah.

Maybe this is a good one?

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819116003

Post your CPU suggestions here cause I want to hear your thoughts of gaming CPUs

Thanks

Snippy

Edited by Snippy, 31 December 2006 - 11:49 PM.

Advertisements

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
hi there Snippy,

what model motherboard do you have
this is important because it will help to determine weather or not the CPU is compatable or not

the CPu is on a 65nm procces and if your motherboard can support it then that would be a huge improvemnet over you pentium D

troppo

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
if your mobo ends up not supporting 65nm, then it probably supports 90nm.

in that case, you can go with the similarly speced, but cheaper:

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819116231

Snippy

Snippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
How do I determin if it's a 65nm?

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
it should tell you in the motherboard manual if not post what model number it is and teh maker and we will do some research and tell you if it can support 65nm CPU's or not

troppo

Snippy

Snippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
I don't know any of this stuff sorry =).

kluivertfan2

kluivertfan2

• Pip
  • 4 posts
You can download Belarc advisor, and it will tell you what you have in your system, in depth.

Snippy

Snippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
Posted Image

there it is.

Edited by Snippy, 02 January 2007 - 04:27 PM.

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Well, being as it is a Dell mobo, there isn't a whole lot of information about it. However, I did manage to find a few good sites. It is a 65nm mobo and it even supports Core 2 Duo.

I would buy the Core 2 Duo E6600! The E6600 is the best bang for the buck out of the Core 2 Duos. If it is out of your price range, go with the E6400 or E6300. (Of course, if you can afford better, go for it!)

If all the Core 2 Duos are out of your price range, then any of the P4 6XX Cedar Mill chips would work. However, any Core 2 Duo would give you better performance than any P4.

I'm not going to mention the Pentium D's or Celerons, as you are looking for a performance increase.

Edited by stettybet0, 02 January 2007 - 06:14 PM.

Snippy

Snippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819115004 Is that a good one?

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
Yup, any Core 2 Duo is great! Not as good as the higher numbered Core 2 Duos, but still WAY better than any Pentium D or Pentium 4.

Snippy

Snippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
Give me an estimate here. How much better is the 6600 than the 6400?
How much more FPS will I have on the E6600. Just make a guess.

Snippy

Snippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
uh?

troppo

troppo

• PipPipPip
  • 582 posts
the E6600 is way better performing than the E6400 because the E6600 has 4Mb of cache compared to the 2Mb of the 6400

i have also heard that the E6600 has a greater ability to be overclocked and can reach the speeds of the E6800 quite easily so i believe its a way better buy

and as far as FPS goes you will maybe average an increase of about 10 but it all depends on your grahics card what card are you running???

troppo

Snippy

Snippy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
X1900XTX. I think it will increase more because I have the worst processor and people tell me it's my processor that makes me get low fps.