Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Display Problems

• Please log in to reply

courthousedeb

courthousedeb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hello again...I tried downloading this file this morning from filehippo.com and it downloaded about half way and then went to done. I clicked on it anyway and it said it was corrupted or incomplete. Git an NSIS error that said I may want to contact author to obtain a new copy.

I use MSN explorer and that is where I encountered the problems. Moved over to IE7 and things seem to be downloading...but rather slowly on dialup. Will keep you updated as I know more.

Thanks again.

Advertisements

courthousedeb

courthousedeb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Sorry...had a double post. :whistling:

Edited by courthousedeb, 01 January 2007 - 04:47 PM.

courthousedeb

courthousedeb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Well...after all of that...hours of downloading this, it didn't work. Said it wasn't compatible with my machine. Guess I can take it by Best Buy and have the geek squad look at it. I'm just so frustrated I can't even speak.

Any more ideas? I'm totally lost now.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
On the other PC

If you click start, my computer, double click local disc C

Is there an ATI Folder, if yes, right click it, click properties, does it show the size as 40 - 50 MB

If you double click it to open it, open support folder, open the next folder, does it have a red ATI set up icon

If yes, you could copy that folder to CDR then load it onto this one and click ATI set up to install that

Worth doing that before taking it anywhere

courthousedeb

courthousedeb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
OK Keith...that sounds reasonable enough. When I get home tomorrow, I'll check that out, but I'm sure you're right. If it's as you say it is, I'll save it to the jump drive thingie I have that holds 1GB of info and bring it with me next weekend when I come over here. Definitely beats dragging the computer out.

I vaguely remember when they did my other one, that even after the Geek Squad did the driver, there was still a problem. He made an adjustment he said in something in Internet Explorer. He said it might mess with my home page settings and I said that was fine. When he did whatever he did, it cleared the problem right up. He said something to the effect that settings in IE affect any other browser you run. My primary browser is MSN Explorer (been an msn user for years). Any idea what he was talking about?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If they are the same model then with it running one, in theory it should run the other one

The other consideration is that you shouldn't have " quirks " with new machines and you could ask e-machines why ATI software won't recognise the ATI hardware they used

courthousedeb

courthousedeb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
They are two different models. The first one I bought in November is the one I'm having problems with and it's a W3502. The other one which I bought just before Christmas is a T5052. Both are eMachines. You think maybe I should call them or something? I tried using their ticket thingie and it asked me questions that I had no clue what the answer to it was...even with a bunch of them sitting in front of me.

As I said, I'm no techno geek (no offense intended). I can search and do many things online, but when it comes to diagnosing and fixing problems like this, I'm a real dunce.

I really appreciate all the time you are spending to help me. I'm learning much more than I knew before. Any you're right, I shouldn't be having issues with a new computer, let alone both of them.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
This much you already know, but this is the spec as e-machines list it and below is from the ATI release notes

Maybe you could log in here when you have their e-note ticket on and post the questions

http://www.emachines...amp;model=W3502

CPU: Intel® Celeron® D Processor 352 with 64-bit Technology with Intel® EM64T
(3.20GHz, 533MHz FSB, 512KB L2 cache)
Operating System: Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Home (SP2)
Chipset: ATI Radeon® Xpress 200
Memory: 512MB DDR (1 × 512MB), 400MHz (PC3200)
Expandable to 2GB
Hard Drive: 80GB HDD (7200rpm, 2MB cache)
Optical Drive: CD-RW/DVD combo drive
Write max: 48 × 32x 48 × 16x
Video: ATI Radeon® X300 based integrated graphics solutiion
Up to 128MB DDR shared video memory
PCI Express (PCIe x16) slot available
Sound: 6-Channel (5.1) high-definition audio
Network: 10/100Mbps integrated Ethernet LAN
Modem: 56K ITU v.92-ready Fax/Modem
Peripherals: Standard multifunction keyboard, 2-button wheel mouse, amplified stereo speakers (USB powered)
Dimensions: 14.25"H x 7.25"W x 16"D
Weight: 22.5lbs

The Catalyst® software suite is designed to support the following AMD chipset products:

AMD Desktop product family support
The Catalyst® software suite is designed to support the following AMD desktop products:

ATI Radeon® X1950 series
ATI Radeon® X1900 series
ATI Radeon® X1800 series
ATI Radeon® X1600 series
ATI Radeon® X1550 series
ATI Radeon® X1300 series
ATI Radeon® X850 series
ATI Radeon® X800 series
ATI Radeon® X700 series
ATI Radeon® X600 series
ATI Radeon® X550 series
ATI Radeon® X300 series
ATI Radeon® 9800 series
ATI Radeon® 9700 series
ATI Radeon® 9600 series
ATI Radeon® 9500 series

Radeon® Xpress X1150 series
Radeon® Xpress 200 series (for both Intel and AMD Processors)

https://a248.e.akama...ease_notes.html

courthousedeb

courthousedeb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
OK guys...I think I have narrowed down the problem. I talked with a tech from emachines earlier on the chat thing. They had me uninstall the driver and restart the computer so it would reinstall it again.

Here's what I am finding.

When I view pictures on my computer from folders there is no distortion or problem with how they look.

The only time I am having this problem is when I am on the internet...and the same pictures are pixelated that look fine on my computer.

I am beginning to believe that this is now a problem with settings in Internet Explorer rather than a driver issue. Am I barking up the wrong tree here? I talked to the geek squad at Best Buy and they said to bring it in and have the guy who looked at my other one take a look at this one too.

Should I just do that...or do you guys know if it's just something that is related to the IE settings like it appeared to be on the last one.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
On a web page, click tools, internet options, advanced, look at multimedia, is it set anything like this, click apply and re-open IE if you change anything

[attachment=12430:attachment]

Is it an LCD monitor

Advertisements

courthousedeb

courthousedeb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
OK...mine did not look like yours...the enable automatic image resizing was checked, so I unchecked it, clicked apply, closed IE and reopened it. I was then taken to a page that said the following:

Get Internet Explorer 7
Based on your computer settings, the below is the correct version of Internet Explorer 7 for your system.

Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) (most common)
For use with Windows XP Professional SP2 and Windows XP Home SP2 editions

and there's a download button.

I thought I had IE 7 or maybe I just need to download more stuff. How do I tell just exactly what I have? I thought I had downloaded everything...but apparently that doesn't appear to be the case.

BTW...pictures are still giving me a problem.

The monitor his a Hewlett Packard HPvs17e...it's a flat screen.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
On a web page, click help, about internet explorer

courthousedeb

courthousedeb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
It says 7.0.5730.11

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
That's fine

If you right click an image, click save picture as then open, does it display any different

Do you have irfanview

courthousedeb

courthousedeb

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
When I save the image and open it, it is saved like I see it and not like it is supposed to be. I don't have irfanview....but do have Paint Shop Pro and Animation shop with is what the program is that opened the image when I double clicked on the new saved file.

I will upload an image that I have on my computer that I can see with no distortion. I will then right click on the same image and save it in it's current form that I see and post both of them. Hopefully you will be able to see what I am talking about.

I am the moderator at a ChevyHHR site and made a banner for the top of our forum which is grossly exaggerated now on my end. I didn't make it on this computer, so I don't have the original handy...but hopefully you will be able to see it. The only thing that should be animated are the spinning words...nothing else should be moving. I'll upload the distorted image as well, so you can see what I am seeing.

http://chevyHHRFamily.net - banner is right at the top