Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD and CD ROM drives won't work now

• Please log in to reply

bzmama

bzmama

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Both my DVD and CD RW drives on my Dell computer won't work. When I look at them under Device Manager, there is a yellow exclamation point by them. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling numerous times. As of three weeks ago, they were working when I installed the driver for my new HP C5180 printer. However, HP thought they'd be cute and had me load all kinds of stupid software along with the driver. The install lasted through the night and I finally killed it in the morning. But, the actual print driver did load up fine.

When I try to reinstall the drivers I get the following errors:

Error Code 19
Error Code 22

The two devices are:

LITEON DVD-ROM LTD163
Samsung CD R/RW SW-248F

The lights blink on both units when I re-start the computer.

Appreciate any assistance.

Thanks,
Marjorie

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Device Manager displays the following "error code 19" message, which means that the registry returned some unknown result:
Your registry might be corrupted. (Code 19)

The text displayed for this error code differs depending on the circumstances.

* If this device is disabled because you disabled it using Device Manager, the following text is displayed:
This device is disabled. (Code 22)
Click Enable Device to enable this device.

Solution button: Enable Device

* If the device is not started, the following text is displayed:
This device is not started. (Code 22)
Click Start Device to start this device.

Solution: Start Device

* If the device is disabled by a driver or program, the following text is displayed:
This device is disabled. (Code 22)
You can't enable this device because it has been disabled by a Windows driver.

Solution: None

This code means that the device is either disabled or has not started.

To resolve this error code, follow the recommended solution. For the third case, try removing the device in Device Manager, then redetecting it using the Add New Hardware wizard. If the problem persists, try a clean boot to rule out software interference. If the error persists, contact the hardware manufacturer.

Run Scanreg.exe. If this does not resolve the issue, type "scanreg /restore" (without quotation marks) from a command prompt. Finally, remove the device from Device Manager, and then redetect it using the Add New Hardware tool in Control Panel.

SRX660

bzmama

bzmama

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thank you for the fast response. I had already tried the command cited in your response, however, my system which is Windows XP Professional 2002 Service Pack 2 says it is not a recognized command. Is there an alternative command for my operating system? Also, went through the motions of uninstalling and reinstalling again. I get the Code 19 message below for both devices:

"Windows cannot start this hardware device because its configuration information (in the registry) is incomplete or damaged. (Code 19)"

Would a registry fixing program help in my case, and if so, do you have one to recommend? I'm leary about all these 'fixit' programs out there--never know which one is legit.

Thanks,
Marjorie

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Sorry, i was not thinking when i said that. XP does not have scanreg. I would try this to fix your problem.

Click and download the cdgone.zip file from below to a location where you can find it. The popular CDGONE patch. CD drives may vanish in Windows Explorer, Device Manager, etc. if a third-party CD-burning package has been uninstalled and Registry references for some code modules aren’t removed successfully. This patch and a reboot usually will restore the missing drives. Any third party package still required will then have to be re-installed.

Restore Missing CD Drive

SRX660

Serrik

Serrik

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
That link to the fix seems to no longer be valid, SRX660

bzmama

bzmama

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I did a Google search and found it at the following address:

http://aumha.org/downloads/cdgone.zip

Applied the fix without any problems and my drives now work! Thank you very much for the information!

Happy New Year,

Marjorie :whistling: