Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black Screen of Death

• Please log in to reply

Linhans

Linhans

• Pip
  • 9 posts
[size=3]
We have a computer that we built ourselves a couple years ago and, just recently, decided to upgrade the graphics card from evga 5600 to evga 6600. We checked to make sure that this is supported by the mobo and all seemed well.
We did the switch with no problem but when we restarted it, we got a message that said that the system couldn`t restart from where we were. I unfortunately forgot the exact words in the message but I believe that it mentioned hibernation. We were in hibernation before we changed the video card but went out before we did it.
The message gave us options. We tried to use the mouse to choose an option and the mouse didn`t work. Nothing worked. Mouse, keyboard or any of the usb`s. After trying to get them to work for probably 10 min., the monitor went off.
Now, we turn it on and all we get is a black screen. I believe I can hear the hdd`s spinning but there are no beeps at all. It just won`t boot. Tried XP disc and that didn`t work.
We have, in the past, had trouble with the mobo and we`re thinking that this may be the problem.

HELP! :whistling:

Advertisements

Kurenai

Kurenai

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 494 posts
So...the power cable was plugged into the back of the computer while you were swapping out hardware?

If you swap the other card back in (after unplugging the computer), do you get video again?

Linhans

Linhans

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thank You Kurenai for answering the question. The power was unplugged when we changed cards. I tried this a.m. to start the machine and, for some strange reason, it booted. I believe that, due to the fact we had the machine in hibernation before we changed the card, the machine put itself back into that state afterwards. We did start it before we changed the card and it booted OK. Have absolutely no idea why it would revert back to hibernate. Can only guess that this is what happened. It seems to be working fine now. All usb`s and keyboard mouse working. Video working fine. Thank goodness. We`ll just try changing the video card again but never use hibernation again. We have had trouble with it in the past but thought we`d try it again.

Thanks again. :whistling: