Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

voice chat error when using yahoo messinger

• Please log in to reply

marigold697

marigold697

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I use windows xp home and the latest version of yahoo messenger. I am unable to use my mic when I am using instant chat messaging in yahoo messenger. When I try to activate the voice, I get a messages that says unble to initiate your computers audio mixer. When I try the audio setup wizard, and get to the recording portion of the test, I get an error message that says:
yahoo! voice chat error: mixer error. I have checked the audio in accesserories and everything looks as it should. Everything I have checked in the system says it is working properly. I have a headset and it is plugged into the front jacks. I have checked the jacks and it is plugged in properly. In the past, it did work but not sure when it started to fail as I hadn't used it for a while. Any help you can give me will be appreciated. I jsut don't know what direction to go now. Thank you.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Have you tried Yahoo!'s Chat Wizard?

Yahoo! Audio Setup Wizard

Only other thing I can think of and you've probably have done it by now, is to check under Device Manager and make sure all dealing with audio are working. You can try System Tools and see what it reports under System Information. May have a conflict or other problems reported in the report. Win XP may have a better way to report your problems, but I don't use XP so can't tell you.

Hope the Wizard works for you though. :tazz:

Ron

marigold697

marigold697

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks Ron for your response. I have tried the audio wizard and get an error message. Do you know how I can delete yahoo messenger completely so that it is a clean install? I deleted through the add, remove programs and then re installed and am not sure it was completely deleted. I downloaded Yahoo messenger on my laptop today and using the same headset was able to use voice chat and it worked perfectly, even the audio wizard worked as it should. I hate to have to put hard drive back to factory settings to correct this.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Too bad Yahoo! doesn't provide an uninstall utility when it installs. Probably wouldn't help as most do not remove ALL the files they've installed which is a real shame. Programmers know what has been installed and need to just write the uninstall to remove the same files. That way only your profile and preferences are left and you can remove these yourself.

Best way I would do an uninstall is to use the Add/Remove utility provided by Control Panel, then I do a search for all of the Yahoo stuff on my HD and delete it all from the search window. Use keywords like yahoo or look through the Yahoo! directory for other keywords to use in search before you uninstall. Do you need help with search?

If you have a registry cleaner, I would backup the registry and use it. Delete all keys referring to Yahoo!.

Hope all this helps.

Ron

marigold697

marigold697

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
thanks again Ron for your response. I think I will try to do a clean uninstall of yahoo following your ideaas. I have always been a lilttle afraid of using a registry cleaner but perhaps with a backup of the registry it won't be harmful. Thanks again. If I need further help I will let you know.

I did put yahoo messenger on my laptop today and hooked up the same headphones to it and had no problems, worked perfectly. The message I get on the desktop is can't initiate ur computer's audio mxier. I have checked the system and the sound drivers and can't find anything wrong.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
OK. Good luck and I sure hope this works out for you.

Ron

101010hacker

101010hacker

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Yo , Me too men , i got the dam same problem , audio mixer cant detect . I try unstall Soundcard and it didnt work . :tazz:

areynaldos

areynaldos

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have the same problem. I have already uninstalled Yahoo Messenger, including cleaning the registry. I have updated my drivers and still get the "can't initialize your computer's audio mixer".

My computer has win xp sp2, Realtek High Definition Audio Mixer.

Any ideas?

areynaldos

areynaldos

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Sorry, forgot to say that the Audio Setup Wizard recognizes my microphone, lets me record a message, and when I click "next" Yahoo crashes.

MSN Messenger doesn't have any problem.

Thanks!

marigold697

marigold697

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have not had any success in correcting the sound mixer error. When I use the audio wizard in yahoo, it recognizes my mic and then when I click next, yahoo crashes. I am now getting hd_err_pid errors. I am wondering if it has anything to do with sun java. I have not been able to get any help with these errors.

areynaldos

areynaldos

• Pip
  • 5 posts
After reinstalling Yahoo Messenger from completely clean, and upgrading my audio mixer drivers without success, I decided to disable the audio mixer.

The error changed to "another application is using your audio device"... so I think this isolates the problem to what the Yahoo message was saying, the audio mixer.

I have been looking around and although some people have asked the same question, nobody has been able to answer.

Please keep in touch if you find anything. THanks.

areynaldos

areynaldos

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Somebody in another forum told me the following, I tried it and... yes... even when Yahoo sends the error message, you can still use voice as usual.

I guess I just got deceived :tazz: by the error message and thought there was a problem. There is, of course, but it doesn't interfere with the voice or other function.

Hope this helps...

Cheers...

--------------------------------------------

Date: Mon May 2, 2005 12:28 pm
Subject: Re: Audio Mixer Error

Have you checked your sound card to see if it its a full or half duplex sound card?

Also, try this...

Go thru wizard up to the point where you can hear your own voice.
Then click cancel
Click on voice in a room, and when you get the error, click ok,
Then see if the talk button turns green.

What I am hearing is that it will still work after you click the OK
button after the error.

So it is not necessarily yahoo, but the sound card, or driver/software
that could be the problem.

--------------------------------------------

mauwong

mauwong

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I'm also having a voice chat error when using yahoo messenger (audio mixer error). I have an Emachine (T5026) - Win xp sp2/Realtek High Definition Audio Mixer.

I went through the web and can't find any solution. I have even sent the computer to Emachine for repair but the technician claimed that there was no problem and didn't know what to do.

I did notice that under Control Panel: Add/Remove. There are two drivers: High Definition Audio Driver Package and Realtek High Definition Audio Driver. Would the mixer error caused by these?

Areynaldos, by any chance your computer is also an Emachine? Your problem seemed to be solve but mine still.... Could you check your computer and post a reply.

I'm also thinking of contacting Realtek for help. I don't know how it will go though.

Edited by mauwong, 28 May 2005 - 05:00 AM.

areynaldos

areynaldos

• Pip
  • 5 posts
HI, I don't have an Emachine, I have a Sony Vaio, but also the problem is coming from the Realtek Audio hardware.

Anyway, I am not following up on the problem, since I just click OK on the error window and continue using the audio as usual. No other problem whatsoever.

I think Yahoo uses some nonstandard access to the audio mixer, so it is not compatible with Realtek, but as I am saying, it is just an error message without consequences...

Cheers,

jason498

jason498

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hav anybody try to talk to yourself nthen use the voice? if it appear(cant initialized...mixer) click OK. nthen press the talk*...