Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Low overclock on my e6400, need help

• Please log in to reply

oakland20

oakland20

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Well simply put my e6400 will only overclock to 2518.31 MHz any thing passed that will cause my comp rebbot saying overclock failed. Other people are getting well over 3GHz. So my question is why cant i get passed 2518.13 MHz, BTW i have an asus P5B and 2 gigs of RAM. Thanks in advance!!

Edited by oakland20, 02 January 2007 - 02:12 AM.

Advertisements

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Hi oakland20!

This could be caused by your motherboard being incapable to support the CPU overclocked that much, you are trying to overclock it through software and not in the BIOS/SETUP itself, your CPU not supporting it, the CPU being damaged or overheating or your PSU having voltage control problems which won't allow the CPU to be overclocked passed a certain point. Lets take a look at possible overheating...

Overclock your CPU to the 2518.31MHz. Boot up your computer and then do the following:

Download Speedfan (The download link is in the first line of the second paragraph), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows. The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.

Posted Image

Fenor

oakland20

oakland20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I didnt get all the readings you did but the information it shows is
System: 26C
CPU: 40C
AUX: keeps changing from as low as -17Cto as high as 122C??

Vcoree: 1.35V
+12V: 12.14V
AVcc: 3.28V

Thank you for your help!

Edited by oakland20, 02 January 2007 - 03:13 PM.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Those temperatures are good. The flucuating AUX temperature is probably an incompatibility of the program with the sensors on your motherboard, which makes sense because your motherboard doesn't give all the readings that my example gives.

Are you trying to overclock your computer using software or are you overclocking it in the BIOS/SETUP?

Fenor

oakland20

oakland20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I overclock my cpu through the bios.

oakland20

oakland20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
bump

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
Please do not bump topics, in that it is not needed because I receive an email saying you replied to this topic every time you reply to it...

As for your problem, look around for overclocking software that is compatible with your system. I myself do not overclock because it is pointless due to the speed of today's processors. All I see overclocking doing is reducing the life of your system drastically with only a minimal increase in performance. But the choice is up to you.

Fenor

Edited by Fenor, 05 January 2007 - 07:25 AM.

oakland20

oakland20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
sorry for the bump, didnt know bout u getting e-mails, when ever i reply. I will do what you suggest and I thank you for all your help!!

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
the biggest problem and I had the same was for me the ram. I had 533 mhz DDR2 sticks in that can't support the increase in bus frequency. I fixed this problem by going up to 667 mhz ram that had no problem handling the increase i bus frequency and increased my overclock by a considerable amount, i think in the upwards of 6-7 hundred mhz.

oakland20

oakland20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
really, I have the same type of RAM. What processor did you overclock?Also, do you think that i should get a different mobo to support higher overclocks? Thanks for the post!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
As mentioned overclocking is alot of risk for not too much reward, as a rule don't do it unless you can afford to replace the whole system or dont care if you brick the thing. The blocks to large overclocks are the Motherboard the PSU and the RAM, RAM will often go first you need very very good ram to overclock you can expect to pay as much as double for good overclocking memory.

I wouldn't bother trying to push it further as a rule when you cant easily increase it if you push it, its gonna push you by breaking. 400Mhz is pretty decent anyway.

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
very good call, overclocking does come with the risk and the fact that you will be reducing the lifetime of your cpu and ram. I was using a pentium 4 chip and heat was a huge issue. I am getting an e6300 however right now I am dealing with motherboard bios issues.

oakland20

oakland20

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I greatly apprevtiate and understand your guys concerns, but Im goiing to upgrade my system withing the coming months woth new cpu/videocard(Dx10) so i wont half to worry about the reduced liftime of my cpu. The one thing that I may get new now (if it will help my cpu overclock) in new RAM. Do u guys think my RAM is hindering the overclock (currently have 2gb off 667 patriot RAM)?Or MoBo maybe?

Dan1887

Dan1887

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts
there are a lot of things that can hinder an overclock, temperature is a big one, voltage is another, ram frequency and timing is a third, then the inability for the mobo to handle the bus frequency (doubtful). You may have to play around for a while until you can figure it out. Another thing to check is bios updates. Sometimes a bios update can allow for better performance from the cpu.