Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BIOS not fully ACPI compliant

• Please log in to reply

RichP

RichP

• PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Just tried to install XP Pro on a brand new AM2NF3-VSTA and it got to a blue screen with this message when at the "Setup is loading files" stage, after formatting.

It tells me to visit www.hardware-update.com to find an update. The site no longer exists as such.

It also tells me to press F7 during the initial loading files for setup, when it says to press F6. This is a workaround.

However, I have never experienced this message before and dont' feel it's right to be using a workaround for a brand new mobo.

Am I being picky or is this OK to do?

Thanks

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
thats a SATA drive your trying to install to...you need to use the F6 and a floppy with the drivers on it ...to install the drivers for windows to install properly...heres a link to get All the drivers you will/may need...you might want to grab them all in case you need them down the road...

http://www.asrock.co...del=AM2NF3-VSTA

Edited by happyrck, 02 January 2007 - 11:03 AM.

RichP

RichP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Thanks for the quick reply.

It's an IDE drive. I've got the mobo driver CD so shouldn't need to download anything.

Like I said, I've never had this happen before, and I've never used the F6 option before either. Never needed to.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
This is a random issue which can be caused by any number of things.
It's not unique to this board, this brand or even your particular board.
It just basically means there's something about your board Windows Setup doesn't like.
Usually flashing the BIOS to the latest version solves the issue.

All pressing F7 does is stop Setup from whinging about a BIOS not being ACPI compliant. It'll install it as a "Standard PC". Nothing else will change.

This can also be a sign of a faulty motherboard, apparently.

RichP

RichP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Cheers for replying.

I have contacted technical support at ASRock but I don't really expect a reply anytime soon :whistling:

It's a bit annoying really as pinning down the issue is quite difficult. I might just see if I can return it.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
there have been 4 or 5 bios updates since that board came out...there up to 1.7...what version is yours..

RichP

RichP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Do I download the top one of the BIOS updates on the page you linked to?

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yep...get the newest they have...they ,like ASUS, tend to get their boards out as fast as they can and then for the next 3 months or even longer keep updating the bios until its stable and all the bugs are out...

RichP

RichP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
I've done it now. I'll see how it goes. Thanks for your input.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
let us know how it goes... :whistling:

RichP

RichP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Interesting. I've just received this email from ASRock technical support:

Dear Sir,

This motherboard is ACPI compliant. Maybe you can try the followings to reinstall the windows XP.

Please try to use BIOS default settings first (or clear CMOS).

And determine your system if it worked before. And if there have been recent changes, it may cause the problem.

if problem persists, please try to:

1. leave only necessary device of your computer for testing. (CPU,VGA, memory, 1HDD and 1 CDROM)

2. Set "Flexibility Option" to [Enable] in the BIOS (some old models may not have the option)

3. re-install CPU and memory.

4. try another memory modules.

I have updated the BIOS and got XP installed. Downloaded all updates etc so I'll give it some hard use and see if there are any problems. Maybe the RAM is faulty. I have already swapped the CPU and hard drive.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
so you did get XP installed and working ?....if your suspecting bad ram....

get memtest 86+ here ...this will test your memory...let it run for at least 2 hours...if you get any errors then the ram is bad and will have to be replaced...no errors after 2 hours...it will run until you press the escape key then its probably good and we can try other things..

http://www.memtest.org/

the how to is here...

http://www.short-med...eview.php?r=276

RichP

RichP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts
Just thought I'd come back to you.

Finally got round to running memtest. Found faults with RAM. Had to take out 1 stick and run again to find out which one.

That's obviously what was making it give that error.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome... :whistling: