Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help in distinguishing comp problem

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

urban_rose

urban_rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I deleted the item from HT, i just tried going on some sites, that used to freeze up, but they work fine at the mo. Keep you updated on more later :whistling:

Edited by urban_rose, 08 February 2007 - 01:48 PM.

Advertisements

andydf

andydf

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 1,660 posts
Hi urban_rose

Thanks for the PM glad things are ok. :blink:

We have a couple of last steps to perform and then you're all set.

First, let's reset your hidden/system files and folders. System files are hidden for a reason and we don't want to have them openly available and susceptible to accidental deletion.
* Click Start.
* Open My Computer.
* Select the Tools menu and click Folder Options.
* Select the View tab.
* Under the Hidden files and folders heading UNSELECT Show hidden files and folders.
* CHECK the Hide protected operating system files (recommended) option.
* Click Yes to confirm.
* Click OK.
Next, let's clean your restore points and set a new one:

Reset and Re-enable your System Restore to remove infected files that have been backed up by Windows. The files in System Restore are protected to prevent any programs from changing those files. This is the only way to clean these files: (You will lose all previous restore points which are likely to be infected)1. Turn off System Restore.On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.
2. Restart your computer.

3. Turn ON System Restore.On the Desktop, right-click My Computer.
Click Properties.
Click the System Restore tab.
UN-Check Turn off System Restore.
Click Apply, and then click OK.
[/list]System Restore will now be active again.

Now that you are clean, to help protect your computer in the future I recommend that you get the following free programs:and a good antivirus (these are also free for personal use):It is critical to have both a firewall and anti virus to protect your system and to keep them updated.
Only use one antivirus and one firewall, more than one may cause conflicts.

To keep your operating system up to date visitmonthly. And to keep your system clean run these free malware scannersweekly, and be aware of what emails you open and websites you visit.

To learn more about how to protect yourself while on the internet read this article by Tony Klien: So how did I get infected in the first place?

Andy :whistling:

urban_rose

urban_rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I know this is so annoying, but the comp went a day without freezing and now its started again!!

andydf

andydf

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 1,660 posts
Hi urban_rose

Can't say i'm happy to see you so soon :blink:

Please go into the Event Viewer and see what errors occurred at the time your PC froze.

Click START-->RUN and type EVENTVWR.MSC and hit ENTER.

Look under SYSTEMS AND APPLICATIONS for items with RED X's that happened at the SAME time as your problem...List them here, also if you doble click the entry you will get a brief description.

urban_rose

urban_rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
This is one that just occurred when i tried going on wikipedia.

The IPSEC Services service terminated with the following error:
The attempted operation is not supported for the type of object referenced.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

This is another one:

The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.

The rest are all the same as the first one

Edited by urban_rose, 13 February 2007 - 10:07 AM.

andydf

andydf

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 1,660 posts
I'm gonna ask the Tech guys to look in on this, I will get back to you soon.

urban_rose

urban_rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I think maybe Java might be affecting the performance, i mean, there is a webiste which always freezes up when i go on it, right after it says 'detecting your java plug in', and i cant view any flash animated cards or anything like that, i dunno, but maybe its down to that.

Edited by urban_rose, 14 February 2007 - 12:30 PM.

andydf

andydf

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 1,660 posts
Hi urban_rose

It certainly could be related to Java, however this part of your event viewer The device, \Device\Harddisk0\D, has a bad block. needs addressing first with Chkdsk.

To use Chkdsk, click Start and My Computer. Right-click the hard drive you want to check (should be local disc C:), and click Properties. Select the Tools tab and click Check Now. Check both boxes. Click Start. You'll get a message that the computer must be rebooted to run a complete check. Click Yes and reboot. Chkdsk will take awhile, so be prepaired to wait.

Let me know how you get on.

urban_rose

urban_rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
I have done what you asked, this is what it displayed:

Stage 4 of 5 - Verifying file data

Windows replaced bad cluster in file 38401 of name \windows\fonts\ARIALUNI.TTF

urban_rose

urban_rose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
These are another few error messages i found:

\Device\ACPIEC: The embedded controller (EC) hardware didn't respond within the timeout period. This may indicate an error in the EC hardware or firmware, or possibly a poorly designed BIOS which accesses the EC in an unsafe manner. The EC driver will retry the failed transaction if possible.

Hanging application WINWORD.EXE, version 10.0.4030.0, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

Faulting application msimn.exe, version 6.0.2900.2180, faulting module msoe.dll, version 6.0.2900.3028, fault address 0x00038617.

Faulting application realplay.exe, version 6.0.12.1235, faulting module rjbviz.dll, version 1.0.2.3674, fault address 0x00002379.

Content index on c:\system volume information\catalog.wci could not be initialized. Error 3221225477. (This is quite an old one)

Edited by urban_rose, 15 February 2007 - 01:15 PM.

Advertisements

andydf

andydf

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 1,660 posts
Hi urban_rose

I need you to start a new thread in the Windows forum, tell them you have been directed to post there and place a link to this topic.

You have errors showing that need addressing by the tech people.

andydf

andydf

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 1,660 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :whistling:

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.