Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BIOS Flashing question

• Please log in to reply

vraknari

vraknari

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
When doing a new pc build, I've read that you should use the latest motherboard drivers and BIOS available from the manufacturer. But when exactly would it be done?

I'm thinking it would be done once the OS is installed, but then would I have to reinstall the OS for everything to take affect?

I inadvertently left this step out during my last build, but so far haven't gotten any complaints from the recipient. If I do need to update the BIOS, how tough would it be since I've got everything installed already.

Thanks.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
You don't have to reinstall anything software after flashing the BIOS.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Its basically just putting the file down to a floppy and booting from that and allowing it to update. You just want to make sure there are NO power interruptions while its running. The BIOS wont lose files, or software.

vraknari

vraknari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
What's a floppy?

j/k..

But I wasn't planning on installing a floppy drive, so if I put the files on cd and booted from there, would that work just as well?

If not, what other option[s] would i have for flashing the bios since I did not include a floppy disk on my last build.

Thanks for the quick responses!!

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Some BIOS updates now can be done from the hard drive (I'm speaking primarily about Dell here). I've never flashed from CD, but I'd think that would work.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
I've googled this some more - the CD will have to be a boot CD. You could flash from thumb drive if you BIOS supports USB boot. Check out this forum thread: http://forums.anandt...p;enterthread=y

Hope this helps.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Most motherboard manufacturers have a file for recent boards that you can use to flash the BIOS from within Windows.

To flash from CD you will need it to be bootable. Nero can do this for you but you'd still need to make the boot floppy yourself.

vraknari

vraknari

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

I've googled this some more - the CD will have to be a boot CD. You could flash from thumb drive if you BIOS supports USB boot. Check out this forum thread: http://forums.anandt...p;enterthread=y

Hope this helps.

thanks for the link. cleared things up a great deal.

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
:whistling: Great! Thanks for letting us know.