Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

recover files from restore using back up disk

• Please log in to reply

sawman505

sawman505

• Pip
  • 5 posts
win 32 corrupt and did system restore and files and programs are missing. space still taken on hard drive. how do i recover? how do i recover those missing files and programs? i do have a file named my back up but cant find my files.

Edited by sawman505, 02 January 2007 - 03:07 PM.

Advertisements

Leesie

Leesie

• PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
What I did to find my files is go to disk defragmenter and analyze then click view report. you should see the location of some of them. Mine was in I believe the documents and settings folder with the same name, new name is something like mydocuments.whatever your computer name is

~Lisa

sawman505

sawman505

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok then how do i get them back to working order? whats the next step?

DeadEye

DeadEye

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
Before you do any of the below, please try and use system restore to go back before the problem started. If this does not work, create a new system restore point and try this B first. If you do not know how to use the system restore, I can step you through the process, just go ahead and post back and say that you dont. If you do not know how to create a system restore point and you want to try option B, then let me know and I can step you through that as well.

A.) Reformat
*NOTE THAT DO NOT REFORMAT UNLESS TOLD TO BY A G2G STAFF* <- of which I am not, so until they suggest it, dont. I am just showing your options :whistling:

B.) If the files are actually missing from your windows folder, and you can find them through the defrag as Leesie said, them go ahead and try to move them back to your Windows folder. If you cannot move the files, try to move them in safe mode. If you do not know how to get into safe mode, let me know and I will step you through the process.

Thanks for coming to G2G, and remember: Never give up until a Staff Member suggests a reformat! We will get your problem worked out. :blink:

Edited by DeadEye, 03 January 2007 - 04:20 AM.

sawman505

sawman505

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i tried to do a system restore but all the restore points from before have been erased so jan 2007 is the only restore point.

DeadEye

DeadEye

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

create a new system restore point and try this B first.If you do not know how to create a system restore point and you want to try option B, then let me know and I can step you through that as well.

B.) If the files are actually missing from your windows folder, and you can find them through the defrag as Leesie said, them go ahead and try to move them back to your Windows folder. If you cannot move the files, try to move them in safe mode. If you do not know how to get into safe mode, let me know and I will step you through the process.

Try that.

sawman505

sawman505

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i tried to save them back but all it would save is the report "volume C". how do i do the safe mode.

DeadEye

DeadEye

• PipPip
  • 84 posts

i tried to save them back but all it would save is the report "volume C". how do i do the safe mode.

Continuously tap f8 as your computer boots up, and you should see a menu pop up with options like this:

Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Return to OS choices menu

Youll want the one that says just "Safe Mode".
Try it and report the results.

sawman505

sawman505

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
well i found the location of my files and programs but it tells me that access is denied what can i do?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP?

When you access a file or a folder in your system, you may receive an error "Access Denied", which indicates that you don't have permissions to access that folder or the file. The error is seen is after you reinstall Windows XP and try to access your old profile. If you are an Administrator (or Administrator-level User account) and want to access the contents of the folder, you can take ownership of the folder or file.

You must be logged on to the computer with an account which has administrative privileges.

If you use XP Home Edition, start the computer in safe mode and log on with an account that has Administrative rights to have access to the Security tab.

For XP Professional, you need to disable Simple File Sharing in order to see the Security tab.

To disable simple file sharing:

Click Start, click My Computer.

On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, click the View tab.

In the Advanced Settings section, clear the Use simple file sharing (Recommended) check box. Click OK.

To take ownership of a folder:

Right click the folder you want to take ownership of, then click properties.

Click the Security tab and click OK on the security message, (if one appears).

Click Advanced, click the Owner tab.

In the Name list, click your user name, or click Administrator if you are logged in as Administrator, or click the Administrators group.

If you want to take ownership of the contents of that folder, select the Replace owner on sub containers and objects check box.

Click OK, then click Yes when you receive the following message:

You do not have permission to read the contents of directory folder name. Do you want to replace the directory permissions with permissions granting you Full Control?

All permissions will be replaced if you press Yes.

where folder name is the name of the folder that you want to take ownership of.

Click OK then reapply the permissions and security settings that you want for the folder and its contents.

To take ownership of a file:

Right click the file you want to take ownership of, then click Properties.

Click the Security tab, click OK on the Security message (if one appears).

Click Advanced, click the Owner tab.

In the Name list, click Administrator, or click the Administrators group, click OK.

The administrator or the Administrators group now owns the file.

DeadEye

DeadEye

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
I am curious, Keith, I cant find anything about it on Google - If you use the command prompt to move files, could you access them even if it said "Access is denied" and you were an Admin?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You should be able to do post 10 as an admin

http://support.micro...kb/308421/en-us