Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account

New video cards issues - black screen orange light

• Please log in to reply

I recently tried to upgrade my ATI 9700(agp). I bought a geforce 6800gs (agp) and plugged it in (4pin connector from power supply) and powered up, but nothing comes on my monitor. It just has an orange light on my monitor like it is in standby mode and I can hear my computer running normally. I have a 480w 12v power supply. It is AGII brand if that means anything.

I am running on windows xp home, I have an intel tehama i850e motherboard. my cpu is a northwood p4 3.04ghz. I called tech support and they werent sure what could be causing the issue so gave me an ra number to get a new one. However I then went out to the store before sending it back (ordered online) and tried a cheaper older card to see if the 6800gs was just not compatible with my computer/motherboard. I got home with the ati x1300 (agp) plugged it in powered up and I still have the same problem. Nothing comes up on my monitor, orange light.

I have now tried two video cards, and also tried 3 monitors. I have no clue what could be causing this but it has to be something with my computer setup. I have also unistalled all the old video drivers before installing the new cards and upgraded my bios to the most current version. According to both boxes I meet and exceed all sysyem recommendations. The only I can think is that my old card used the connection at the top of this attached image

and both the new ones use the one at the bottom. Could this in any way be causing my problem? I just unplugged the old card and put the 4pin into the new one, leaving a 4pin and the cord at the top of the included image (what is the name of that) free. Is there a different way I need to connect the power supply?

I would really appreciate any assistance or ideas. As of now I have no clue, and all tech support said is it may be a defective card. Since both have the same problem now that is not likely the case. Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Advertisements

suspectchin

suspectchin

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Made post right before server change and image didnt get added

DSCN4532.JPG

suspectchin

suspectchin

• Pip
  • 2 posts
According to the Ati tech support this is a known problem with older dells. I asked exactly what the compatibility problem was but all I could get out of him was something about 32 or 64bit motherboard and video on my computer. Anyone know what he meant by this and if it would be the same issue with newer nvidia cards? I have a dell Dimension 8250 front side bus width is 64-bit memory bus is 16-bit. This is the first ive heard of this issue and I have no clue what the problem is. Is the 16bit not enough or 64 is too much or what? How can I tell which cards will work from looking at the specs on the web since it wont say on the boxes. My current card is a 126mb AGP ati 9700.