Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Privacy Guardian #&!*ed up my PC?

• Please log in to reply

jason3278

jason3278

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
ok this is not a malware problem I don't think but some weird [bleep] just happened. I was getting ready to shut my computer down, I ran a program called Privacy Guardian 3.2, which just deletes internet cache etc. Never had a problem with it in the 2 years I've had the program. Well, in the bottom corner of the programs window, it'll show a number of how many files it has deleted, and usually this number is between 20-65. Well, this time, this number just shot up into the thousands, which freaked me out, so I cancelled the program. I went to start-programs, and a bunch of my folders just said empty. I then went to Firefox, to come to this website, and my Bookmarks were completely gone. So....I ran System Restore, all my folders all seem to be back to normal, but Firefox Bookmarks are all still gone. Ran System Restore again to an earlier point...nothing, and now Firefox won't even open. So I uninstalled it for now, since this Quality Feedback Window keeps popping up, even if I'm not trying to open Firefox. Good god, what the [bleep] have I done? Why did this happen? This makes absolutely no sense.

I did notice that when I started the Privacy Guardian program a window popped up saying "Automation Error: the specified module could not be found", which it has never done before.

If I can't get my bookmarks back that's fine, I just hope I didn't permanently jack up my computer. Thank you to anyone who can help me, and my apologies if this is the wrong forum...it was the closest thing I could think of. I await your wisdom.

Advertisements