Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I use Mac OSX; but what about web hosting?

• Please log in to reply

efilm66

efilm66

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
Great Site by the way!

I'm new to building a website and novice programmer, but currently experimenting with HTML after having already begun the w3schools.com online tutorials.

I don't know what my next step will be but I'm building a site with mostly text and no graphics, but a lot of discussion pages... (no relevance to geekstogo =)

Anyway, I have a Mac. I like 1and1 as a company. I've called them a couple times about other questions related to webbuilding and they are very kind and helpful. But if I have a Mac am I to stick with a web hosting service that is compatible to macintosh?

If I were to go through with it and develop a website with many pages and possibly grow my bigger and bigger am I better off just getting a PC in the first place and sticking with a linux or microsoft web hosting service?

Many more questions to come but thanks for the help you guys!

Cale

Advertisements

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
First off, good luck finding a mac webhost.

HTML is HTML, no matter if you are on a mac or a PC.

My personal preference would be to find a webhost who uses linux. PHP is an easier language to write in when you become more advanced than ASP, not because the languages differ so much, but because there are more places to get help with PHP on the net.

Good luck with your website.

efilm66

efilm66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Thanks ScHwErV,

I'm attempting to create a site with some similar aspects of craigslist, least a discussion board and calendar of events. I like craigslist's simple framework. Anyone else attest to that? but which i'm not quite understanding of yet but looks to be all HTML? If that's the case, if it is, i'm looking for some direction. Hopefully, i'll learn more throughout the w3schools.com site. .... and then i have a Mac which doesn't seem to work with anything.. but dreamweaver takes mac and I've seen a couple people recommending using that. But then, the whole issue with web hosting is just as overwhelming for someone who has very little experience behind the internet scenes~ I can make a movie, but not a website =)

Thanks again~
cale

Michael

Michael

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 1,869 posts
That your web hosting is Windows/Linux (preferably Linux) and your on a Mac does not make any difference, any more than that GeeksToGo is hosted on Linux and your on a Mac. Setting up your own server would be a lot of work, and since your internet connection is optimized for downloading, very slow. I would just pay for some hosting.

Using a web server is not hard, you will normally be given a FTP account and use that to upload files, not much different from moving files around your computer really.

craigslist may look to be all HTML but I will bet my bottom dollar it is not. ScHwErV mentioned PHP, this is a programing language the runs on web servers and outputs HTML. The full power of craigslist would come from that. Look on w3schools.com for PHP and MySQL

Edited by Michael, 03 January 2007 - 09:58 PM.

efilm66

efilm66

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
Big Big Help! so Far. Thanks you guys!