Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing new HD as slave

• Please log in to reply

Jigalow

Jigalow

• PipPip
  • 21 posts
OK, I just bought a new 250G hard drive and have installed it. when I started my computer up it said that it found new hardware but, when I look in "My Computer" Its not there. Although, When I click "View System Information" It shows it and says that its working properly. Also, I have on my master drive, Which is 40G, 10 prongs and the new 250G has only 8. Which look like this,

Master drive, ::::: Slave drive, ::::

My master drive already had the jumper in place on the last 2 prongs but, in the diagram in the book that came with my new drive it showed them on the first 2 prongs so I switched them.

So now I have my master drive with a jumper on the first 2 prongs like this. I::::
And my slave has nothing on it. ::::

Anyhow, I don't know how to use my new drive cause I'm used to it being in My Computer.
Is something wrong or am I just not doing something right? :whistling:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

My master drive already had the jumper in place on the last 2 prongs but, in the diagram in the book that came with my new drive it showed them on the first 2 prongs so I switched them.

So now I have my master drive with a jumper on the first 2 prongs like this. I::::
And my slave has nothing on it. ::::

first....these "prongs" are how you set whether the drive is a master or slave drive...and the settings are drive specific...look at your master drive near the "prongs" you should see mstr, slv, cs or something to that effect etched into the drive or on a sticker...make sure the jumper is on mstr for master....on the NEW drive...do the same but put the jumper where it says to put it for slv for slave... then hook the drives back up (make sure the master is on the end of the cable and that the slave is in the middle)

did the new drive come with a cd at all? have you run that disk to format and initiallize the drive?

also

right click on My Computer and choose Manage then choose Disk Management. Do you see the new drive there? what does it say about it?

Jigalow

Jigalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
There are no stickers on the drive to tell me where the jumper needs to be. Yes, there was a cd that came with it but in the book it says that I didn't need the cd if I was going to set the new drive as slave, to just skip to another page that explains what to do. But I guess the book can't explain what to do when it doesn't have anything abouit my old hard drive huh?! :whistling:
Also I right click on my computer and click manage but I don't see my hard drive there either. Actually I don't see any hardware devices at all.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
could you give me the make and model of both drives? that way i can verify your jumper settings

Jigalow

Jigalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
My new HD is a seagate and the model number is: ST3250623A
My old one I'm not sure about but it was factory with Dell dimension 2400
The model number for it is: WDC WD400EB-75CPF0

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
for the seagate:
if it's an ATA drive (normal IDE not SATA...i'm pretty sure yours is ATA as you didn't mention sata) http://www.okla.seag...000dd04090aRCRD the jumper should be completely removed for the drive to be a slave and should be connected to the middle connector on the ide cable

for the WD: http://wdc.custhelp....amp;p_topview=1 you should follow the diagram for the 10 pin model...the third set down (dual master) where the jumper shorts pins 5 and 6

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
I think you just didn't go to the right location when dsenette wanted you to go to disk management. Please follow the below instructions exactly and your new hard drive will work:

Go to START-->CONTROL PANEL. In the new window that appears, double-click on ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS and then double-click on COMPUTER MANAGEMENT. The COMPUTER MANAGEMENT window will now appear. In the list on the left side, click once on DISK MANAGEMENT under the heading STORAGE. Now look on the right side of the window and you should see all your hard drives and cd/dvd drives listed. Locate the one corresponding to the new hard drive and right click on it and select CREATE NEW PARTITION. The new partition wizard will now open, just follow along with the instructions.

Once your drive is finished being formatted, it will now be ready to be used and should be visible in MY COMPUTER. :whistling:

Fenor

NOTE -- THESE INSTRUCTIONS ARE BASED ON THE FACT THAT THERE IS NO DATA ON THIS DRIVE THAT YOU NEED TO RECOVER, AND/OR THAT IT IS A NEW DRIVE. IF THERE IS DATA ON THIS DRIVE YOU NEED TO RECOVER FOR SOME REASON, THEN DON'T DO THE ABOVE INSTRUCTIONS!

Jigalow

Jigalow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
AHH yes, That does help, Thank you both, I did have my jumper set in the wrong place so that diagram in the link helped. I believe this will work now. Thank you both for your time. much appreciated. :whistling:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
let us know how it goes