Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

20 min to boot

• Please log in to reply

pfrad

pfrad

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hello all, new to forums , computer neophyte,

When I boot up up Im waiting about 20 minutes for the beep and xp screen, change hard drives still the same, after boot up , I have no problems working, even if I restart , it's just after computer is shut down that boot problems occures.???

asus mobo
1 gig ram pny
250 seagate hd
nvidia card

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what make and model # is your computer...what operating system...did this just start or has it always been this way...did you add any hardware or software recently....the more info you can give us the easier it is to diagnose the problem....

pfrad

pfrad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
XP operating system
home built
Asus p5nd1-sl1 mobo
2 gig pny ram
3.0 ghz dual core intel

The problem started slowly , a couple minutes to now 20 minutes at boot up.

No recent additions .

Edited by pfrad, 03 January 2007 - 02:44 PM.

peter99

peter99

• PipPipPip
  • 283 posts
first thing i do is a good cleanup

how I cleanup XP

boot into safe mode (F8 key)

uninstall any unwanted programs

start windows explorer, click tools, folder options, view,

tick show hidden files and folders, sometimes you may need to Untick
hide protected operating system files as well click yes then OK

back to windows explorer click

C:\ drive

Documents and settings

There you will see a list of users including some windows makes on install of OS

Click on the user you use then look for

Cookies folder and delete all file and folders in there

Click on the cross next to local settings, in there is a temp folder and a temp internet folder you can delete all files and folders in there. As you are in safe mode any folders need by some programs will be recreated when you start in normal mode.

Delete any files/folders in C:\temp if you have one and C:\windows\temp

Some say to delete files in C:\windows\prefetch, they will be recreated when needed but you might have something in there that’s not needed anymore.

Lastly I use a free reg cleaner from

http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

install and run the reg cleaner, when finished click on the select all text at the bottom of the program, click select all green items, move the mouse onto any selected item right click and choose delete, at the bottom right is a counter just have a look at the number before you hit delete than again after.

Run the usual in safe mode virus/adaware/spyware etc

Do a defrag

See how you get on from there

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the quick way to clean out all the temp folders and cookies and ALL the useless junk is to use ccleaner...get the slim version run the cleaner...the stock settings are good...do not play with any of the other tools...

http://www.ccleaner....oad/builds.aspx

it also cleans out the index.dat files that can be huge if you have never cleaned them out before...

then you need to go to start...run...type in ...msconfig...then click on ..OK..then click on start tab...uncheck everything EXCEPT your anti virus and firewall...

if you don't use Windows XP's built-in search often (like every day), disabling indexing can significantly speed up your PC.

By default Windows XP indexes files on your hard drive and stores them in memory to speed up its' built-in search. But if you rarely use Windows search, turn off indexing to free up memory and CPU horsepower for the files and applications you actually do use. A few simple how-to steps after the jump.

To turn off indexing:

1. Open up "My Computer."
2. Right-click on your hard drive (usually "C:") and choose "Properties."
3. Uncheck the box at the bottom that reads "Allow Indexing Service to…"
4. Click OK, and files will be removed from memory. This removal may take a few minutes to complete.

To disable the indexing service:

1. In the "Start" menu, choose "Run."
2. Type "services.msc" and press Enter.
3. Scroll-down to "Indexing Service" and double-click it.
4. If the service status is "Running", then stop it by pressing the "Stop" button.
5. To make sure this service doesn't run again, under "Startup Type:", choose "Disabled."

Windows search will still work if you perform these steps, but it will work slightly slower than if indexing was enabled.

then defrag in safe mode...

for all the XP system tweaks go to this link and do all the red ones....

http://www.geekstogo...ion-t64386.html

Edited by happyrck, 03 January 2007 - 07:26 PM.

aero05

aero05

• PipPip
  • 75 posts
not that any of that is not going to help....but from what his computer syntoms show ... i believe thats not the problem.... he is having problems during startup not while working on the computer meaning that there is a problem with the start up...... try this, hope it works

after pc boots up go to
1. start and click on run
2. on the run box type "cmd"
3. on the cmd type chkdsk /f /r
5. its going to ask you if you want to do this on the next startup, type "y"
and press enter
6. restart your computer and a blue screen should come out, just let it run
what this does is it checks for damaged sectors and damaged windows files, when there is a damaged sector your computer will most likely run slow, when there is damaged windows files it sometimes causes windows to start up slow ... hopefully this will work

pfrad

pfrad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks Guy's, cleaned system ,defrag, virus scan, chkdsk, last night,
problem still persist, I cloned hard drive to another , same problem, Im thinking maybe a hardware problem , are there capacitors used to help in start up that could be leaking causing this problem?
once Im booted system works great.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you will have to take a romp thru the malware removal section if you haven't had any improvement and you did everything asked...go here....

[url=http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/You_Must_Read_This_Before_Posting_A_Hijackthis_Log-t2852.html]http:

and follow the instructions and post a new hijackthis log there in the malware section of these forums...then once you are clean and if you are still having problems then post back here...

post a link to your new thread back here so I can follow your progress... :whistling:

Edited by happyrck, 04 January 2007 - 10:08 AM.

pfrad

pfrad

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Thanks for the replies heres the link to logs.

http://www.geekstogo...ot-t144040.html

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I've called in the log pros to look at them ...wait on them...they are busy....