Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CLI .exe using all my CPU

• Please log in to reply

Pluto56

Pluto56

• PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Hi everybody,

My new Dell laptop has a mobile AMD Sempron 3500+1800 processor.
Windows XP home. 1 Gig Ram.

Since day one the processor usage has been nearly 100% near constant. Only thing I can find pulling much in task manager is CLI.exe which apparently is ATI Video card process. It is using nearly 60% of the processor. I'm not running any games or anything, the computer is simply sitting there with nothing visibly lit up.
In task manager, I've ended the process and CPU usage immediately drops to around 5%. Computer seems to run fine afterwards too.

Can CLI.exe be totally disabled? When I reboot the puter, it shows it running again in task manager.

Thanks for any help.

R

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i've seen some conflicting advice about either disabling or not disabling CLI.exe...the only thing that theoretically could come from it not running at startup is that some of the advanced graphics features of the catalyst control center wouldn't function...such as certain settings that are needed for higher end games....but you could always manually start it before starting the game... you might also try updating the catalyst drivers to see if a newer version makes a difference in cpu usage

Pluto56

Pluto56

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Yes, using TuneUp 2007 now, I'm seeing Catalyst Control Center is running at start up. Says it's trustworthy, but I'm not into gaming. And everything else seems to be working fine.
I did a web search on cli and read some conflicting stuff too.

I'm going to disable it from the startup menu, see what happens.

Thanks Dsenette.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yeah....all the references i've seen basically suggest that it's up to the user as to whether you disable the process or not...it shouldn't cause too many issues..and it's not exactly hard to turn it back on if something goes south

Pluto56

Pluto56

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Done. Disabled it from the startup menu, rebooted. It's not running and CPU is running at about 4 or 5%.
I just love it when a plan comes together!

BTW, love the trunk monkeys.

Thanks for the help!