Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard disc cannot be Safely Removed brought in Virus Copy.exe

• Please log in to reply

valcandy

valcandy

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
Hi guys,

I bought a new hard disc and there seems to be something wrong with it. I have tried it on several computers.

1. it will not let me safely remove it (always says its busy even though none of the folders or applications are open)
2. has a virus called copy.exe (norton anti-virus can detect it)
3. this virus seems to spread onto any peripheral attached (e.g. is now on my ipod)

attached is a printscreen of files that resulted from a search of copy.exe
can i delete the files in the prefetch folder?? will it do any harm?

geek1.jpg

Is there something wrong with the hardware?

Someone please help!!!

Thank you! :whistling:

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
...by the description...the copy.exe (and the subsequent virus/worm that accompanies it) could be the reason you can't safely remove the drive...as that program would be actively copying itself and propigating as viruses do..you're going to need to get this system cleaned up... does the removable drive have important information on it? (i'm going to assume it does)...if it DOESN"T you can just format the drive..therby getting rid of any funk... other than that i suggest disconnecting the drive from your PC and taking a trip through the malware forum to make sure that it hasn't infected your pc....then they can help with methods of cleaning the external drive without losing data

Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) then post a hijackthis log in THE MALWARE FORUM forum.
(Posting HiJack This logs in any other forum other than the malware forum is forbidden. If you post an HJT log in any other forum, it will be removed and it will take you longer to get help, so please make sure you only post HJT logs in the malware forum)

If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

valcandy

valcandy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Thanks for your reply. I have tried reformating it. The same problem appears. I think there's some kind of program/virus programmed into it. Formating doesn't help, unfortunately.

Regarding the files in the prefetch folder is it safe to delete them?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'd go through the malware forum if i were you...there's not much that will survive a format...so it's more likely that your computer is infected and keeps reinfecting the external drive

valcandy

valcandy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts
Thanks! Will do that.