Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Videos from BSM driving software won't run.

• Please log in to reply

siaus22

siaus22

• PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
Ok so the girlfriend has installed a program that can help with driving tests and has some MPEG videos with it. Now if I run the program the vidoes won't play and I get a dialogue saying
"Windows Media Player encoutered a problem while playing the file. For additional assistance click webhelp"

I can play the videos in Quicktime direct from the folder they are installed in but not Windows media player or the program.

Any ideas? It doesn't give any help on the microsoft website. Am I just missing codecs or something?

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
See if VLC will play them

http://www.filehippo.com/download_vlc/

Then check media player again

If media player does not run them, which version have you got

It could be they are meant to play from the CD only to prevent copying

siaus22

siaus22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
VLC plays them fine. When I install the program it automatically installs the videos as well. will try doing a basic install so it reads the vidoes from the CD instead.

I have windows media player 11.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If they are the only files you have a problem using media player for, use VLC which is a good enough player anyway

siaus22

siaus22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
The problem is that the videos a re designed to run in a program. The program is one that recreates the Hazard perception test that you take when taking your theory driving test. So although I could watch them seperatly, it means that I can't take the test as the program seems to be playing them in media player built inside the program.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does it mention running on a DVD player with remote control and a television

If you right click one of the files in the folder, then click properties, does it have the option to change which programme plays them

siaus22

siaus22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
It does and I have tried changing to both Quicktime and also VLC but to no avail.

Going to try basic instal tonight.

siaus22

siaus22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
Still can't get the video's to run. Have tried basic install, full install. Changing MPEG properties to play using VLC and Quicktime and still when I run the Hazard Perception program it says Windows Media Player cannot play the file. Unknown Problem.

Even tried rolling back my windows media player. Any ideas??

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
A friend brings the ones from DVLA round and they play with anything, though direct from the DVD

You could ask BSM if they have reports of errors, the discs / install files could be damaged

siaus22

siaus22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 295 posts
Hi

thanks for the help. I'll try installing on a different machine and see what happens there. If they don't play on that machine I'll contact BSM.

Many thanks Keith. :whistling: