Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive Error

• Please log in to reply

B345T

B345T

• Pip
  • 2 posts
For the first time in ages I decided to update my iPod, I started moving files from an external Maxtor 250GB harddrive and the iPod usb cable got pulled out prematurely. Im told there was some sort of desktop.ini message when this happened and when I next tried to access my external hard drive I was informed that it is inaccessable and the file/directory is corrupt or unreadable. I quickly ran chkdsk because the contents of this drive are very valuable to me, but chkdsk only informed me that my drive was formatted as NTFS but was unable to determine the volume version and state. CHKDSK aborted.

I'm in somewhat of a panick that I may not be able to recover my entire harddrive or at least some of its contents. I'm not really sure if the premature iPod updating caused some sort of delayed write failure or something like that, but maybe someone can help me fix this??

Thanks in advance :whistling:

Advertisements

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
There r recovery programs u can buy that will save you'r data.
I dont think much more will help. Next time be carfull with the cables.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
I had the same thing happen. I loaned my external drive to a friend so he could backup some files because he wanted to reinstall XP with a clean install. When i got the external drive back i could no longer access it and was getting file system errors popping up. Of course hes says he knows nothing about it but his son comes up and says " we did'nt know that external drives are not Plug and Play". So i figured out that they had been unplugging the USB cable while the drive was connected and "on". The real problem was i had almost 40 gigs of music on the 80 Gig drive so i thought i had lost them. One day i was messing with a computer i built from spare parts and installed the drive out of the external enclosure into the computer as a slave drive.While i did get a error ( can't remember what it was) i was able to open the drive up in Explorer and copy all the music to the computers main drive. I later wrote all "0"s to the drive with the drive makers utilities and used it in another computer.

You might try it for it may work.

SRX660

B345T

B345T

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
I took apart the casing and plugged it in directly. First thing I tried was to boot up and see if it was recognised - and yes it was, but it was still telling me it was corrupt when I went to browse through it. So I rebooted into PowerMax and run the tests and to my surpise it passed all of the installation scan, basic and full scans telling me my drive was 100% error free. However this is still not the case, I still cant run chkdsk on it and when I try to access it, it is still corrupted and unreadable.