Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CPU or motherboard?

• Please log in to reply

chocolatelazer

chocolatelazer

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
hay i hope you can help im running outta ideas,

my computer keeps freezing on me, i cant even task manager it or anything, it can happen at anytime wile doing anything, it never happens when i dont do anything its fine if i just have it on looking pretty.

i formated twice, changed hard drive, ram and i even bought a new heatsink (a real beast of a thing it could make [bleep] freeze over). its probably the CPU but i dont want to buy a new one only to find out it was the motherboard.

also i cant install my realtek ac audio drivers or much else it keeps showing a blue screen with this message;

stop:0x0000007e (0xc0000005, 0xa7f5346d,0xf7c71a54, 0xf7c71750)
Portcls.sys-address a7f5346d base at a7f53ooo, datestamp 41107f13

its a bit sketchy so if cant help thanks anyway

oh yeah i got a new radeon x 1300 graphics card a few weeks before it started happening i dont know if that matters cos its running fine

Edited by chocolatelazer, 04 January 2007 - 05:55 PM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

I'm not at all sure this is a motherboard or cpu issue. It sounds more like a driver problem to me. I would normally suggest ram or overheating as possible candidates but you've already replaced the memory & it sounds like overheating isn't an issue.

You said you have reformatted etc but I suspect you have reloaded the same drivers afterwards, right?
portcls.sys is actually a sound card driver. Are you using the motherboards onboard sound card or do you have a PCI (off-board) sound card? I assume it's onboard as you mentioned Realtek audio.

Also, is this the only STOP error you experience? And what is the make/model of your motherboard?

chocolatelazer

chocolatelazer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
yeah installed the exact same ones again and it is the definatly onboard, does packard bell sound like a motherboard make? ( sorry im not more help its flat and green with bits on it if thats any good :whistling: ?)

i can remember the stop warning from a few other times but not sure what though it wasnt for just the one reason though.

what do you think? install new drivers?

Edited by chocolatelazer, 04 January 2007 - 06:31 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

does packard bell sound like a motherboard make? ( sorry im not more help its flat and green with bits on it if thats any good :whistling: ?)

Lol, thats really helpful!
No, Parkard Bell is the actual computer manufacturer but they don't make motherboards. If you let me know the model of Packard Bell you have, that might help. It may also help to run Aida32 (see link) & see if that gives a motherboard model & make.

Aida32 :
http://www.majorgeek...ation_d181.html

No installation required. Just run it & look under the section in the left hand window called Motherboard->motherboard. In the right pane, you should see a motherboard model listed. Possibly.

chocolatelazer

chocolatelazer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
i did the system thing in tune up utilities does NEC Computers International K8T800-8237 sound more like it?

chocolatelazer

chocolatelazer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
i did the system thing in tune up utilities does NEC Computers International K8T800-8237 sound more like it?

chocolatelazer

chocolatelazer

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
bump