Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Realtek AC97 Audio Issues

• Please log in to reply

simbo13

simbo13

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Need a little assistance. My sound is not working properly. If I play a song, it is very distorted and the words/lyrics are very soft (to the point that you can't really hear tham). If I play a Voicemail, it doesn't play at all. I have tried to unistall and reinstall the driver with no luck. I have Everest installed, so if someone could tell me what you need to see to help out I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
-B

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
What we really need is what computer you have. If its a custom built the make and model of the motherboard is needed. What you will be looking for is the drivers for your sound system. Now this can also be just a connection problem in the speaker conncetions. One computer i had needed the plug to just be pulled out slightly on the connection to stop a very static sound. A little motherboard paper 0-ring slipped over the end of thee plug stopped the problem.

If needed you could go into device manager and delete the drivers. Make sure you have downloaded new correct drivers for the sound on the computer. You may may drivers that auto install when you open up the new drivers by double clicking on them. You may have to go back into device manager to update the sound card drivers. I will walk you thru this if necessary.

SRX660

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
is your onboard audio as well? i have the exact same thing except i have no sound. i got ahold of customer support they controlled my desktop and couldnt get it working either :whistling:

racinmason001

racinmason001

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
Have you done any overclocking I had the same issue only after overclocking. I took a pentium d 805 @ 2.66ghz Using a cheap pcchips motherboard I overclocked to 2.90ghz and when I tried to go any higher the sound either distorted or wasn't even detected. Then when I tried installing the realtek ac97 drivers thinking they were corrupted, it told me that the smbus had to be installed when it actually was it was just not detected because of the overclock. A new PCI sound card fixed this problem. Not overclocking would fix it to.

simbo13

simbo13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I bought the system from Tiger Direct.
Motherboard ID: P4M800CE-8237-6A7L6B09C-00

No overclocking. I have deleted all drivers and XP actually reinstalled the one for Realtek but still have the same issue. It is not a static sound like the plug is not seated properly. There is a "Sound Effect Manager" in my Control Panel which I have not seen before. I cannot get rid of it so I am not sure if that is causing the problem. What next?

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
You can see if installing sound drivers from here will help. It could be your sound drivers on the computer are corrupted.

http://www.msi.com.t...v...CHIP=3&ID=5

The above are the 3.95 realtek drivers.

SRX660

simbo13

simbo13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Ok, I have uninstalled everything and started over. When I try to play either mp3 or m4a files, the voice or singing sounds like it is coming from the bottom of a well. You can barely hear it. If I try to play a wav file, it appears to be playing but with no sound. I have tried three differrent versions of the Realtek driver. In the Control Panel there is an icon called Sound Effect Manager which I cannot remove. There is a tab in it that allows you to choose which sound effect environment. I have it set to "none" but it still sounds as if the vocals are coming form a cave. Any ideas? Would it be better to buy a new sound card and disable this one?

TIA

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Take a look here to see if it will help.

http://www.pcmech.co...oubleshoot/743/

You should also look at these site's. This fixes problems with some realtek sound.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888111

http://support.micro....com/kb/835221/

SRX660

simbo13

simbo13

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks SRX660, I'll give it those a shot.