Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Connecting to the Internet

• Please log in to reply

chedwick

chedwick

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I have a Gateway desktop computer that I've been having lots of problems with. I am having intermittent problems with not booting that I think are related to a bad heat sink. When it did boot last, I reformatted using the Restore DVD from Gateway. For some reason now, I can't connect to the Internet. We have high-speed Cable internet that requires no password or anything. When I've formatted in the past, it just automatically got all the settings and worked fine.

In the Network Connections box, I have a local area network that says it is connected, but when I open Internet Explorer, it won't connect. When I right-click on the local area connection in the Network Connections box, and choose repair, it says "Repair 1394 Connection. Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed: TCP/IP is not enabled for this connection. Cannot proceed." When I go to the Properties, and then the TCP/IP properties, it is set to obtain everything automatically. This is the correct settings, which I confirmed with my Internet provider. In Internet Explorer, I have the Connection settings set to use a LAN connection and automatically detect settings.

I've set up the Internet on this computer a couple times before, and it's always been very simple. Everything is set to automatic, and it finds everything it needs. I don't understand why it isn't working this time. If you have any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks.

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Open IE then type 192.168.0.1 in the address bar and press enter, does it connect to the router set up page?

chedwick

chedwick

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I tried that, but it still wouldn't connect. "Internet Explorer could not open the search page".

And I double-checked the Device Manager and everything is installed correctly. The network card is installed and there are no conflicts. I just tried uninstalling the drivers for the network card and restarted the computer to reinstall them. It made no difference. The problem is the same.