Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Logitech Z5500 and Creative X-Fi Extreme music

• Please log in to reply

Mitesh

Mitesh

• PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
Ok I bought the X-Fi Extreme Music forst and have installed it and it works fine.... athough I am getting some very strange glitches in call of duty 2, such as multicoloured walls and stairs. I reinstalled XP and reinstalled everything testing COD 2 at various stages and I found the only way to get around the glitch is to run it in DX7 form the graphics settings menu. But of course I didnt spend £320 to play in DX7 so I still play in DX9 with all the glitches including strage graphic corruption. (oh and i have dowloaded and installed the latest DX9 (the runtime version for bussinesses- although this didnt solve the problem either).
I have not checked my other games yet but if anyone can enlighten me about how to solve this one please do so.

Ok now on with the sound side of it all. I also recently bought the Logitech Z5500 and am now confused. I thought digital is better then analog?
The Z5500's manual tells me that I need Optical in to get Dolby Digital or DTS. My X-Fi tells me I need digital out to get DTS but does not mention the connection required for Dolby Digital.
However I thought the X-Fi does all the decoding from digital to analog so therfore attaching a digital cable from the X-Fi (obviously I would have to purchase the X-Fi I/O Console upgrade and digital cable) would simply bypass the soundcard's conversion and let the decoding unit on the Z5500's do all the decoding? But then that would mean there was no point in buying the soundcard? Ahhh this is so frustrating someone please help me!

Also what setting is the z5500 meant to be set to whilst playing a EAX 2.0 or 3.0 game?
P.S: Although many people have reviewed the Z5500's I know they are NO WHERE NEAR as good as a decent set of home theater speakers (I mean the ones you can buy together not all the seperates which is very very expensive). I know this becasue in the house my parents have some Sony 5.1 surround sound speakers and the sub on that LITERALLY makes the entire room and the rooms next door shake, whilst the Logitech can not copmpete to this level and the sonics are far superior on the surround sound system made by Sony. Then again that system cost them £1,000 + so............

But anyways someone please help mne and for those of you who could not have been bothered to read the above and have jumped straight to thisline READ THE ABOVE!!

Advertisements